Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Scoring help

What's on your mind?

by NoNothin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Two outs full count bases empty. Batter hits foul ball just outside right field line that seems to be an easy out that bounces out of right fielders glove. Next pitch is crushed to center field for a double. Next pitch (next batter is hit over the fence for a 2 run homer. Are those two runs earned runs even though an E9 extended the first batters at bat and extended the inning??

Thanks for the help,

NoNo
Respect All Fear None!!!!
NoNothin

by ssarge » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:53 pm

If F9 was charged with a two-out error (for allowing the batter to prolong her AB by dropping the routine foul fly), anything happening after that is unearned. The inning should have ended.

The rule of thumb is to re-create the inning as if the error hadn't been made. In this case, it's easy - nothing to re-create. The inning should have been over.

The one exception is that you don't charge an error if you believe the fielder dropped the foul pop-up on purpose to preclude a baserunner from tagging up and advancing. You would see that - for example - in a tied game, late innings, runner on third with less than 2 outs. If the fielder catches a ball in that situation, you might lose the game. Better to let the pitcher try again to retire the batter in a manner that doesn't allow the baserunner to score. So in such a circumstance, an intentional drop is not scored as an error.

Obviously not a factor in the situation you described, though. E9, all runs unearned.

Best regards,

Scott
ssarge

by Judd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:01 am

would the same concept apply if the 1st or second out was missed because of an error? All runs after the "should have" 3rd out would be unearned?
Judd

by Bretman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:01 am

Yep, same concept for any error that prolongs the at-bat of, or allows to reach base, a batter that should have been the third out.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by Sftbll4ever » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:06 am

How would you score that in the book??? Sorry, doesn't make sense to me. :shock:
Sftbll4ever

by NoNothin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:17 am

I think that is the reason I've never seen anyone score this as unearned......because it is sometimes hard to follow unless your very familiar with the rule about prolonging the atbat or inning. Thanks for the clarification.

NoNo
Respect All Fear None!!!!
NoNothin

by ssarge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:41 pm

How would you score that in the book??? Sorry, doesn't make sense to me.

Understand your point. Personally, I would score the AB by recording whatever is the eventual outcome in the square in the book. And I would add an * in the square, with a note at the bottom of the page indicating that there was an E9 with a full count which prolonged the AB.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by ssarge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:46 pm

One other note, which happens a lot. Sometimes, with a runner on 3B, less than 2 outs, a hitter will hit a fly ball which obviously will score the runner. And the OFer drops it.

This should be scored as a SF for the hitter, as well as an ROE. Typically, people simply score the Error. The hitter is still entitled to the SF - you can't take it away from her simply because the defense was unable to execute. This will help her batting average, since the SF is exempted from the calculation (and the ROE wouldn't otherwise be). It will not impact her OB%, since neither a SF or an ROE is calculated into that.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by Kat » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:49 am

ssarge wrote:One other note, which happens a lot. Sometimes, with a runner on 3B, less than 2 outs, a hitter will hit a fly ball which obviously will score the runner. And the OFer drops it.

This should be scored as a SF for the hitter, as well as an ROE. Typically, people simply score the Error. The hitter is still entitled to the SF - you can't take it away from her simply because the defense was unable to execute. This will help her batting average, since the SF is exempted from the calculation (and the ROE wouldn't otherwise be). It will not impact her OB%, since neither a SF or an ROE is calculated into that.

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

I have a question, How can the have a sac fly with an error in the field. I am asking for our scorer for our high school team. Is an ROE a run on error??
Kat

by Martin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:00 am

The scoring is determined by what SHOULD have happened if the inning was reconstructed without the error. Since the error occurred on a long fly ball with less than two outs, R3 SHOULD have tagged up and scored. The batter is therefore credited with a SF.
Martin

Return to Fastpitch Discussions