Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitching Coach or No pitching coach?

What's on your mind?

by txfpcoach » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Just a thought but with a young daughter getting ready to pitch and thinking of the 200-300 a month a pitching coach will cost not including driving time, gas etc..... so lets say $400 per month, :( $4800 per year :shock: , $48000 over the next 10 years :o . Should I shell out that kind of money. My DD is progressing fine without throws 25-30mph (I know finally and honest parent when it comes to his DD's Speed :lol: ) with good accuracy. Mainly throws strikes, can throw a nice CU and every once in a while the ball looks like its dancing while I sit on the bucket. So the question is will $48,000 be worth having someone stand there and watch my DD pitch, Make minor corrections and basically send us home for an addtional 20 hours of bucket time. I think I'll buy a book and read up on it instead.

Other than the few great pitching coaches out there is it really worth the money or is it only the perception of "having a Pitching Coach" :?:
txfpcoach

by black&blue » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:04 pm

I think your estimates are a bit high. Most people around here pay $30 per half hour outside or $45 per half hour at a facility with $30 going to the coach and $15 to the facility. Most kids go once a week.

I also find it best to NEVER add up the total $$ spent for pitching. I'm much happier that way.

But to your question...a pitching coach will see things that you can't. They will see things that will not only make your DD a better pitcher but will prevent her from injuring herself. Last year my DD's pitching coach left to join her NPF team. I knew my DD's mechanics were messed up but I couldn't make it right. She was still throwing strikes but not correctly. She wound up in physical therapy 3 times a week with an injury to her non-throwing shoulder (she was 9 years old). She was in a lot of pain and missed her travel team's first tournament. Plus the $20 physical therapy & orthopedist co-pays made her pitching lessons look cheap!

So to me it's not just about speed and strikes.
black&blue

by anonlooker » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:56 pm

Read the two previous posts, slowly digest each point, then if ever in doubt, read them again, over and over.

Those 'minor corrections" are what you are paying for, and will make all the difference.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by catdad » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 pm

I agree with the previous posts that a pitching coach is very beneficial to your daughters developement, but if the cost is more than you can afford (or seems pricey for what you get) here's a few suggestions that helped us in raising a large family and still afford to play select ball.
1. Try going every other week during the busy part of the season. Then go every week during slower times of the year.
2. Some high school pitchers are capable of helping the younger kids and will do it just for the fun of it. (Only ask the ones that exhibit the form and style that you want your DD to imitate)
3. Buy books or dvds and become as knowledgeable as possible so that when you do give advice it doesn't end up being something thats counterproductive.
4. Soak up the advice of pitchers dads, they have spent thousands of dollars on lessons and thousands of hours on the bucket. (See previous posts)

Hope this helps, good luck to your DD.
catdad

by wadeintothem » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:54 am

At her age/level, just about anyone can pitch. I've seen rec teams where the coach lets the team pick where they want to play each inning.

Pitchers with good pitching coaches are the ones pitching when real pitchers are in the circle. If you want her to be a pitcher at a higher level, she needs a pitching coach IMO.

I've seen a guy that wanted his DD to be a pitcher so bad.. over the years pitching, pitching, pitching.. HOURS.. after the game, next game going.. he'd be in deep right field on a bucket with her pitching. Hours he worked on it. Real dedication. I knew she was never going to be a pitcher.. she just didnt have it. On top of that, daddy was teaching after watching DVD's or whatever he did. It was as plain as the nose on her face she was done. 12U rec, 14U.. great! shes there! In the circle, torturing me behind the plate.

Now, she is 2B on a low level Var Team.. not even 2nd string F1... AND he is an assistant coach... even daddy ball A coach didnt work.

The moral of the story is give her a fighting chance.. daddy ball wont cut it when the real game starts.. get her a pitching coach or teach her good fielding techniques and how to hit because she wont be pitching.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by NuNu's Dad » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:21 am

Amen to the posts above. I think I have spent maybe $12,000 in the time my DD has been pitching. Definitely money well spent! Especially during this HS spring break tournament week with 3 shutouts in 3 starts! These are times she'll never forget even if she never pitches in college.

I decided after botching my son's pitching asperations, that I would do it right with my DD if she ever decided to pitch. At 7 she was picked in the first round by an inexperienced coach who didn't draft a real pitcher. He asked her if she ever pitched because she was tall and athletic. She was REALLY excited at her opportunity.

I sat her down and explained that the pitching coach was a priviledge and not a right (we be having that same conversation regarding her license really soon). It was either buy into the program of the Pitching coach, or do fielding and hitting work. I am talking regular practice, following coaches instructions, working hard in games, everything. If she stops wanting to do everything, we'll do something else!

She went to a months lessons before her first game, and did well from the getgo. We won one game all year, but she was either striking out every batter, walking them or hitting them by the end of the year. No steering the ball or any of that stuff, just full windmill full velocity trusting her mechanics. We played in a large strong rec league, maybe 8-11 teams in each division and lots of managers focused on winning. She did pretty well in B All Stars that year.

The next year she played up in 10U as an 8yo. That was the wakeup call for her. She was pitching to alot of really talented girls that year. (Our rec B All Stars took 3rd at B Nats that summer.) If she threw a meatball it was gone, if she was wild, they would take the walk. This is the year it really sank in. She learned to hit the corners and trust her mechanics.

She never really had any problems with mechanics because she went weekly all year round. No bad habits to break or new quirks. Just reinforcing the same thing every week with a trained eye watching and refining. She actually took a year off due to back surgery unrelated to softball. When the surgeon released her to pitch, the first night at the pitching coaches, we got complements from some younger students parents on her perfect mechanics. They were shocked to hear it was the first time she had thrown full windmill in a full year! That is what a good pitching coach gets you: reinforced perfect mechanics!

She will sometimes pitch to me with her eyes closed. She is almost as accurate as with them opened. The key is that the mechanics are always the same!

The best part is you can still be a dad and not wear the coach hat. Sometimes coaches have to criticize, parents can just cheer. She loves not having the same person wear 2 hats! I can always tell her she was awesome, let the coach tell her what she did wrong.
NuNu's Dad

by Judd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:30 am

I agree. Sitting on the bucket there is only so much you can observe while waiting on the ball. Also a pitching coach will observe things that you cant or wont notice.

Recently my DD's coach noticed arm speed was slow causing her to release as she was closing instead of while open. A quick drill before pitching has resolved that and has her throwing a little harder and much more accurately. I have other examples but there is a reason why most of your top notch pitchers take lessons. There is a girl that pitches for another team and is pretty good, fast, good control. 12U. Dad taught her everything she knew. That is one out of 50 pitchers that I know of that take lessons. Who nows what she will now do since she just started lessons
Judd

by sftballjnkie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:13 am

When my DD decided she wanted to pitch and showed some initial aptitude for it, we got her a pitching coach. We decided to do it to make sure she started out doing it RIGHT. It was more of a decision to prevent injury from incorrect mechanics than to make her the best pitcher out there. She is doing great and really showing promise to make it in the long run.
Another thing to consider is picking a GOOD PITCHING COACH. Not every guy with a shingle hung out can teach your kid to pitch correctly. Ask around and find one that is doing it right and sending girls to college pitching.

PS... Don;t count the cost EVER.... but we're only paying around $100. monthly for weeking 30 minute lessons.
sftballjnkie

by lakers32 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:30 am

catdad wrote:I agree with the previous posts that a pitching coach is very beneficial to your daughters developement, but if the cost is more than you can afford (or seems pricey for what you get) here's a few suggestions that helped us in raising a large family and still afford to play select ball.
1. Try going every other week during the busy part of the season. Then go every week during slower times of the year.
2. Some high school pitchers are capable of helping the younger kids and will do it just for the fun of it. (Only ask the ones that exhibit the form and style that you want your DD to imitate)
3. Buy books or dvds and become as knowledgeable as possible so that when you do give advice it doesn't end up being something thats counterproductive.
4. Soak up the advice of pitchers dads, they have spent thousands of dollars on lessons and thousands of hours on the bucket. (See previous posts)

Hope this helps, good luck to your DD.

catdad's advice is on point if you are not ready to go the pitching coach route yet (not sure about #2, the ones with good form know the cost of pitching lessons and need money for clothes and make-up).

My dd starting pitching at age 5 and I have spent many hours on the bucket. I went the books/dvd route until second year 10u. I highly recommend Cheri Kempf's The Softball Pitching Edge, both dvd and the book. I was able to teach my dd the basic's and she has done well. Heck, I was able to help one of the top 12u pitchers in so cal get started when she was 8 (right R.G. LOL). The time that dd and I spend learning the pitching game together is priceless.

At some point you will have to break down and pay for a pitching coach. I recommend no later than 10u. A good pitching coach will tighten up any minor flaws in her form and begin to teach her ball rotation, which she will need to have success at 12u.

When it comes to choosing a pitching coach it is not always easy to find the right fit. Just because someone is a good pitching coach doesn't mean he/she is right for your dd. Chemistry is important. A pitching coach may be too nice or too hard depending on your dd. That is where daddy has to make the call. When trying out coach's for your dd always be up front by letting them know you are looking for a good coach that is a good fit for your dd, this way it makes it easier to part ways if your not satisfied with his coaching or style. Example," I think you are a very good pitching coach but I'm not sure the chemistry is right between you and my dd." You would be suprised how many people will stay with their pitching coach because they don't want to hurt their feelings.

Whatever you decide good luck.
lakers32

by catdad » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:58 am

Hey lakers32 great minds must think alike.
I have the same book and have probably highlighted or underlined a third of it. My daughter started pitching at 8 and although I had coached my previous 2 daughters neither one of them were pitchers. This book plus a high school pitcher plus the advice of other pitchers dads started us off on the right path. She is 13 now and has gone to a pitching coach regulary for the last 3 years. As I mentioned above we go more often in the offseason to work on new pitches and keep all the good habits and only go every other week during the peak of the season just because its hectic enough playing softball every weekend. Besides, I really dont like the idea of changing stuff during the season when everythings going well. Usually a good lesson every 2 weeks in the summer is enough.
I also agree that picking the right coach is important. If your DD doesn't like or respect the coach she's just not going to give the effort required to make the pitches work even if the coaching is correct.
Good luck this season.
catdad

Return to Fastpitch Discussions