Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Breaking the side arm throw?

What's on your mind?

by Judd » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:44 am

Some of the girls on my 12U rec team are side arming the ball. How can I correct this? Any drills? Do I just keep telling them over hand?

Also how can I teach control? I have a couple that could probably hit the fence from home plate but they cant hit a girl 40 feet away, too high, too low etc

Thanks
Judd

by 3Bsnag » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:39 am

I'm going to assume you know proper throwing mechanics (if not, http://www.sportskool.com/sports/softball will help them and you get started).

It's just making them stand in 2 lines, throwing to each other and not letting them side arm. For a righty: As soon as one side catches the ball, they correctly transfer the ball to their throwing hand, point their elbow/glove and their left hip to their target, right arm bent at 90 degrees, palm/ball facing behind them and freeze. Over the top throw, freeze at follow through. If you break it down and make them freeze, they don't have the pressure of trying to throw hard and can concentrate on good mechanics.

If they do their drills religiously, it should take @ 6-8 weeks to see great improvement. In my experience, 6-8 months before they have control, are throwing properly, and back to throwing hard.

Your task is hard since you're coaching rec ball. You don't have the time with the girls that TB coaches do, but I applaud you for trying to fix the problems. You may also want to enlist the help of some older TB girls that you know can throw. The girls seem to like it.
3Bsnag

by bkatona » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:01 am

A favorite topic of mine as DD had a terrible throwing motion.....we used the kneeling drill (throwing side knee on the ground and throw to me), the 90 degree drill where you turned the entire body 90 degrees to your throwing partner and made them throw across the body, also freezing at points so they had the ball above their ears before release.

I was at a coaching seminar a few weeks ago given by a well respected travel coach in our area....his opinion of poor throwing mechanics is partially based on catching ability....younger girls (12U and younger) have a tendency to throw better (and harder) quicker than they can learn to catch that hard throw. When they warm up, they are afraid to throw hard because their team mate may miss the ball and get hurt, so they change their mechanics to slow down the velocity of the throw. We have the girls that throw the hardest warm up with our other more skilled players or the coaches , to promote good throwing mechanics.

The throw-Max training aid also is a great tool.
bkatona

by Sam » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:40 am

Drill #1: Play catch sitting down, legs straight out in front from about 20 feet.
Drill #2: Play catch on one knee (throwing arm knee down) from about 40 feet.
Drill #3: Play catch facing each other, no stepping to throw. Player receiving the ball gives a target with their glove, catches the throw and immediately brings the ball up to their ear on the throwing side, while rocking their hips and preparing to throw without stepping. The player then throws to her partner's target....the drill is called rock n fire.

You can also work on crow hopping for the OF.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Have you tried shock collars?
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain
Lunatic Fringe

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:10 pm

So I'm guessing the days of standing them next to a fence and playing catch are over?

It worked on me when I was a kid...
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by 3Bsnag » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:08 pm

I'm here to confirm the fence drill is still alive and well. I make my DD do it once a week and as punishment starting @ 15 ft away from me when she can't hit the broad side.... when she's warming up.
3Bsnag

by BIG PAPA 18 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:59 pm

wadeintothem wrote:So I'm guessing the days of standing them next to a fence and playing catch are over?

It worked on me when I was a kid...

That's exactly what dear old dad did to me also....lol.. :ugeek:
Sam's drills he mentioned work's for the girls..
BIG PAPA 18

Return to Fastpitch Discussions