Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Just Get It Over, DD, Just Get It Over

What's on your mind?

by softballdad » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:38 pm

One of the more frustrating experiences is to sit for two hours watching a youth softball game ending with the score 16-15 when neither side gets a hit the entire game. Walk, steal, walk, steal, walk, walk. It is worse when your kid's team is on the losing end. Worse still is when your kid is in the circle. You sit there unable to get a grip on yourself hoping, praying that this pitch is going to be a strike. Please, god, let my kid throw a strike. To me the only thing worse is watching the parent of a pitcher who is suffering control problems yelling every couple of pitches, "just get it over." Does the parent suppose the kid isn't trying to "get it over?" Does anyone suppose any pitcher is content to stand out there throwing balls?

Rec ball memories lol :?
I believe in getting into hot water. I think it keeps you clean.
softballdad

by WhatDoIKnow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Amen :mrgreen: brother!
The world does NOT revolve around you.
WhatDoIKnow

by umpinva » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:15 pm

softballdad wrote:One of the more frustrating experiences is to sit for two hours watching a youth softball game ending with the score 16-15 when neither side gets a hit the entire game. Walk, steal, walk, steal, walk, walk. It is worse when your kid's team is on the losing end. Worse still is when your kid is in the circle. You sit there unable to get a grip on yourself hoping, praying that this pitch is going to be a strike. Please, god, let my kid throw a strike. To me the only thing worse is watching the parent of a pitcher who is suffering control problems yelling every couple of pitches, "just get it over." Does the parent suppose the kid isn't trying to "get it over?" Does anyone suppose any pitcher is content to stand out there throwing balls?

That's all gravey compared to having to umpire one of those clown fests.
umpinva

by Tucson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:18 am

Why don't you asked the parent "How many pitches is she throwing a day?" "Can you catch for her?" "Who is her pitching coach?", etc. Maybe the parent will get an idea that pitching isn't something that is going to happen over night.

Generally, they start to catch on, when they come up against a decent pitcher.

But many folks just don't know how to help their own kids. Some leagues have clinics and tell the parents how to help, but not many,
Tucson

by wadeintothem » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:29 am

softballdad wrote:One of the more frustrating experiences is to sit for two hours watching a youth softball game ending with the score 16-15 when neither side gets a hit the entire game. Walk, steal, walk, steal, walk, walk. It is worse when your kid's team is on the losing end. Worse still is when your kid is in the circle. You sit there unable to get a grip on yourself hoping, praying that this pitch is going to be a strike. Please, god, let my kid throw a strike. To me the only thing worse is watching the parent of a pitcher who is suffering control problems yelling every couple of pitches, "just get it over." Does the parent suppose the kid isn't trying to "get it over?" Does anyone suppose any pitcher is content to stand out there throwing balls?

It is obviously not real ball, relax.

I doubt the girls even knew if they won or lost.

Did they have fun singing their little chants and wearing their cool stuff?

If so, it was a good game.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by FPDD_cabbie » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:09 am

Last year (during REC Ball) I was standing next to the pitchers dad who really needed to keep his mouth shut. His daughter was having control problems and her good pitches were being called too low or hit into the outfield. This dad's words of encouragement were "[DD's Name], why am I paying for pitching lessons if you can't throw a strike?" That got his DD upset and made matters worse that inning.

After that game, I heard that his wife gave him an ear full and he only showed up to one more game.
The secret to happiness is a Good Sense of Humor and a Bad Memory.
FPDD_cabbie

Return to Fastpitch Discussions