Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

US National Team

What's on your mind?

by jofus » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:59 am

I think so, but I'm slightly biased, because I'm a VT fan, so I think Tincher should have been given a legitimate shot. I know the team has super pitchers already, but like you said, several of the players on the team have multiple medals already, and this looks like the last trip most likely.

Like you, I don't think there were really "try-outs" for the team.

Just my opinion...I'm sure that fans of the current players (and Candrea) probably feel differently.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by tai2000 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:50 pm

I agree...I think we talked about this a while back on that "other" board but I will restate my opinion.
Even if/when SB is reinstated and back in the 2016 games the ladies playing college ball now will be too old to play. So why not give these ladies a chance? It was their one and only window of opportunity and all the "old vets" just basically showed up and were given spots.
I think this is extremely unfair. I have watched Katie Burkhardt break record after record pitching for ASU and she will never see Olympic play...too bad. They invited her to tryouts but she never stood a chance.
On a lighter note, my DD will graduate highschool in 2015 so she will be the "perfect" age to play in 2016...lol :shock:
Looking at the ball going over the fence isn't going to help. -Hank Aaron
tai2000

by melsdad » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Spazsdad wrote:USA 1 Louisiana-Lafayette 0 9 innings
Last night Finch gives up 2 HRs. When Doucette was pitching CSUF is up 3-2, don't know why they brought in Cervantes???
Maybe hanging on to the "old guard" was not the best choice.

With all of the top softball talent in the US why do we have the "good ole boys club" in USA softball. Do you really believe there was a tryout for this go round? Why not give some of these talented ladies a shot at representing USA? I know the ladies playing were the best of the best but does Lisa F. need another medal? Several of these players have multiple gold medals. Should the younger players been given a shot at glory??
What say you?

Spazsdad, where did you see the game? I've been looking
melsdad

by anonlooker » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Go to the sporting goods store and the softball section is all Finch, Fernandez, Mendoza, Bustos, etc etc. Fine softball players. to be sure.
More importantly, they are brands.
Follow the money.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by mozzy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:31 am

I'm hopping on the Fernandez fan club bus here, simply because, out of all the old dinosaurs and as a result of the career choices they have made (a la Michele Smith) Lisa stands alone as the consummate softball player-- no one works harder--and every team needs a role model/leader. Lisa has earned her position in spades. She has probably spent 90% of her life training to be the best ballplayer that she can be, and the other 10% taking seriously the responsibility of being the best role model she can be.She deserves to be there. 'Nuff said. :mrgreen:
mozzy

by DonnieS » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:12 am

>> hopping on the Fernandez fan club bus here <<

Second that. Some 6-7 years ago, I spent one of the most valuable afternoons in my coaching life with Lisa Fernandez and Leah Amica-OBrian. They helped me with very important pitching issues for my dd. They gently without putting me down or anything, pointed me in the correct direction. It has meant a lot with helping us to remain on the correct track with her development. They were not pompous, they were not arrogant, they were pure class. I have come across both of them since in other places and they have been consistent. What I saw back then is who they are. The last time we saw Lisa, she took time out to talk to my dd and encouraged her to remain faithful to her work ethic and her practice.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:37 am

Spazsdad wrote:USA 1 Louisiana-Lafayette 0 9 innings
Last night Finch gives up 2 HRs. When Doucette was pitching CSUF is up 3-2, don't know why they brought in Cervantes???
Maybe hanging on to the "old guard" was not the best choice.

With all of the top softball talent in the US why do we have the "good ole boys club" in USA softball. Do you really believe there was a tryout for this go round? Why not give some of these talented ladies a shot at representing USA? I know the ladies playing were the best of the best but does Lisa F. need another medal? Several of these players have multiple gold medals. Should the younger players been given a shot at glory??
What say you?

I couldn't care less. Name ONE college coach that would ever build his program based on a "tryout".

Coaches get the players they want and are comfortable with. And as long as they win nothing we say matters.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

Return to Fastpitch Discussions