Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Mask saves pitcher from line drive.

What's on your mind?

by bucketdad96 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:20 am

In a previous post about wearing a mask while pitching, I stated that in 2 years of wearing a mask my DD had never been hit. I now can say that wearing a mask most likely saved her life. While pitching during the St. Patrick's Day tournament in Gulfport, MS this past weekend my DD had a line drive hit back at her that went just over her glove and hit her squarely in the center of her Defender mask. The ball ricocheted off the mask all the way to the backstop. Not only was she uninjured, a time-out was not even necessary. She completed that game as well as the remainder of the tournament. Had she not been wearing the mask she would have certainly been seriously injured or worse. After close inspection the mask showed no damage at all. For anyone considering purchasing a mask for your daughter, I highly recommend the Defender mask. And if your daughter is resistant to the idea of wearing a mask, have them contact me and I'll let them ask my daughter if wearing a mask is worth the hassle.
Check out http://www.defendersportshields.com for more info on the Defender mask.
bucketdad96

by Judd » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:48 am

Glad to hear it worked out. My daughter wears a game face or she wont play. In DDs rec league, pitchers are required to wear one
Judd

by dustyshoes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:15 am

Any preference for one over the other (gameface vs defender)? I'm assuming they both protect equally well so it may come down to a matter of comfort and/or price.
dustyshoes

by FPdaddy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:30 am

My DD was 10, playing 12U. Takes a line drive off the gameface that bounced over the SS head in the air. The ball would have hit her in the forehead. Instead, a harmless play. DD continued to pitch after a timeout called by the PU.

Keith
FPdaddy

by bucketdad96 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:35 am

DD has worn a Gameface for the past 2 years. We switched to the Defender this year because of the difference in looks, (color choices seem to be a factor for her, said the tinted mask and pink padding "looked cool"), and the fact that the Defender's single strap works better for her, she sets the height of the strap with her pony tail. Never had a test for the Gameface like the one she put the Defender through last weekend, but the Defender came through when she needed it. I had coaches, parents, players all asking me where I got her mask after she took the line drive off of it.
bucketdad96

by fastpitchmom17 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:13 pm

So glad that you are a responsible parent who insists on making your DD wear a mask. My DD either wears it, or rides the bench. I get so frustrated at parents who think their DD is such a stud that she does not need the mask. It is such a terrible thought, I hope seeing a girl take one to the face is something I never have to witness.
fastpitchmom17

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:20 am

Spazsdad wrote:Your kid, your choice. But don't try and make another parent's choice yours.

Right on P.
Sftbll4ever

by Tucson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:15 am

Why would you choose not to have your kid wear a mask? It is a choice between her throwing the next pitch or calling an ambulance.

I can't remember ever needing my seat belt or airbags, but they are there if I ever need them.

I can remember raising the boys and they didn't want to wear a cup. My husband said "Let them find out." I would rather avoid injury than learn the hard way.

Helmets weren't required until the 90s. Face guards are just now being added. How many of you would let your girls bat w/o a helmet? How often are they hit in the head? It only takes one blow to kill someone.
Tucson

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:45 am

"I can't remember ever needing my seat belt or airbags, but they are there if I ever need them."

Wearing your seat belt is a law.

"Face guards are just now being added. How many of you would let your girls bat w/o a helmet?"

Guess I will have to wait till College for that one, not mandatory in College.
Sftbll4ever

by bucketdad96 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:01 am

My original post was not intended to restart a debate on "requiring" masks or not. While the choice to wear a mask was an easy one for me to make, and a correct one considering my DD's experience. The choice is ultimately to be made by the responsible adult. It's my hope that the parent doesn't allow the child to make a decision of this importance for themselves. I've heard too many parents say that their DD "refuses to wear the mask" (even some on my DD's team). Step up and be the adult and make that choice for your child. Again I'm not an advocate for "mandated" use of a mask, just an advocate for making the best choices for my child until she is an adult and can make decisions of this magnitude for herself.
bucketdad96

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions