Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Intentional HBP

What's on your mind?

by jofus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:34 am

Blues definitely should take care of it. If an ump is paying attention to the game at all, he should be one of the first to realize if something is intentional or not (IMHO).

As for crowding the plate, some batters do that trying to intimidate the pitcher, but they have to know that the possibility is there of getting hit. As my DD's pitching coach tells her, when you are pitching, that is your plate and your strike zone, and you have to control it rather than let the batter control it.

Then, when he works with her on batting, he tells her "this is your plate, your strike zone, not the pitchers, etc....."

:)
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:02 am

Saw a HS game where the batter was on the line and when the pitch came in, she would put her knee in the strike zone and get the hit. Did it 3 times to get on base. Coach talks to blue and he says it hit her and she tried to move out of the way. Coach replies that her knee is in the strike zone. Blue says, doesn't matter, it still hit her. Other girls on the team did the same thing, but leaned into the pitch, 2 of them got on base too.

Donnie, how many days left???
Sftbll4ever

by DonnieS » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:18 am

>> Donnie, how many days left??? <<

59 days, well actually now 58 days 21 hours. It could be a little longer, it could be a little shorter. I just set the countdown from how far we went last year. Played our first district game, and our girls are trying to figure out what to do since they had their butts handed to them. One of my kids plays on the other schools team and she killed us - two triples and smiled at me all the way. What makes me happy at these games is seeing my kids do well - even those that compete against my daughter, maybe specially those.

I will see one of my team's studs come up for another team, and inside I am screaming (walk her - walk her - dont pitch ... whatever her meatball pitch is) but the school coaches dont allow us to speak or say anything to the team, and the good thing is they already know all this anyway.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:37 am

I've seen intentional HBP over the years in travel at as young a level as 14U. In every instance I witnessed, the COACH called for it. It was so easy to spot.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by DonnieS » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:04 am

>> I've seen intentional HBP over the years in travel at as young a level as 14U. <<

I saw it at 10u. When my kid was 9 we had a team of kids we were taking to local tournaments. Some out of town team came in and decided to beat my team, they had to take out my dd. I had never ever talked about retaliation, revenge, payback any of this stuff. First pitch when she came up, they nailed her in the 'buttocks'. I went over to first to check - I could see she was in pain but she would not say anything to me. I thought ' oh well, no big deal'. First batter for their team, my kid drilled her in the side. I ran to check on the kid, she was not doing good, I turned to talk to my kid, to say 'hey sweetie, its ok, I know you didnt mean...' and when I got to her - she said 'See if they do that shit again to me'.

Keep in mind she was 9. That was the first time I gave the "God gave you a talent to use in this sport, He did not give you this talent and strength to hurt someone." lecture, now years later I realise that it never registered and was a waste of time.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bkatona » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:20 pm

DonnieS : In my vivid imagination, I can just see the DD doing the same thing in a game....DD gets the "gameface" on and it's lights out whether pitching or hitting....If I only knew how to get the "gameface" on her for every game, I would be a genius.

I have had the same talk with her about being a good sport, competition, not hurting anyone intentionally, but it fell by the wayside....DD acts just like a boy.
bkatona

by umpinva » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:28 pm

jofus wrote:Blues definitely should take care of it. If an ump is paying attention to the game at all, he should be one of the first to realize if something is intentional or not (IMHO).

As for crowding the plate, some batters do that trying to intimidate the pitcher, but they have to know that the possibility is there of getting hit. As my DD's pitching coach tells her, when you are pitching, that is your plate and your strike zone, and you have to control it rather than let the batter control it.

Then, when he works with her on batting, he tells her "this is your plate, your strike zone, not the pitchers, etc....."

:)

Bottom of second, B1 (F6) goes yard. B2 is hit by the next pitch. (I was not sure on intent.) Top of three, F1 hits a gapper and is tagged out by F6 at second. Bottom of four, the first pitch to F6 is behind her back. As I'm taking my mask off, the DC coach quickly requests time which I grant. As the coach heads toward the circle he says to me "Blue, pitching change! I'm going to take care of this." DC has a brief chat with F1 and then takes her out of the game.

I later heard that this team had two more games that day during the tournament and he kept that player benched for both of them.

Nice move on the coach's part removing her when he did. I was going into ejection mode.
umpinva

by Tucson » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:37 pm

I haven't seen problems with intentional HBP. But, I have seen the tub 'o lard pitcher that would throw about 55mph and smack every other batter in the thigh. Girls were scared to even get in the box. We won big and DD was in the circle. She prided herself on her control and there was no retaliation. I guess it wasn't "tub o' lards" fault that she couldn't pitch.

But guess where we met up with this pitcher again? On the basketball court. Oh, let the fun begin. I don't think that she even figured out why she was getting fouled so much.
Tucson

by watcher » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 pm

DonnieS wrote:>> I've seen intentional HBP over the years in travel at as young a level as 14U. <<

I saw it at 10u. When my kid was 9 we had a team of kids we were taking to local tournaments. Some out of town team came in and decided to beat my team, they had to take out my dd. I had never ever talked about retaliation, revenge, payback any of this stuff. First pitch when she came up, they nailed her in the 'buttocks'. I went over to first to check - I could see she was in pain but she would not say anything to me. I thought ' oh well, no big deal'. First batter for their team, my kid drilled her in the side. I ran to check on the kid, she was not doing good, I turned to talk to my kid, to say 'hey sweetie, its ok, I know you didnt mean...' and when I got to her - she said 'See if they do that shit again to me'.

Keep in mind she was 9. That was the first time I gave the "God gave you a talent to use in this sport, He did not give you this talent and strength to hurt someone." lecture, now years later I realise that it never registered and was a waste of time.

Are our DD's related? LOL
10u game and my youngest is warming up in the pen for the last 2 innings when her sister gets beaned by the best pitcher in the league (fantastic control) I think nothing of it and continue to coach 3rd base, Inning ends and DD heads to the circle and low & behold the pitcher is leading off, 1st pitch makes contact with the batters ribs & while the girl is walking to first base DD walks over to her, I thought she was going to say sorry, Nope she says " don't you ever hit my sister again" She got an earley trip to the showers & we lost the game because of it.
watcher

by FPdaddy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:08 pm

You have showers at your ballpark? WOW!

Seriously, that's a great story!

Keith
FPdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions