Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Intentional HBP

What's on your mind?

by DonnieS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 pm

High school pitchers need to remember that travel starts in a few months - some of these kids and their sisters have a long memory. See you soon.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Out of curiosity, why would a team wait for travel for some on the diamond justice? Why not just do it right then..
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DonnieS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:37 pm

>> Out of curiosity, why would a team wait for travel for some on the diamond justice? Why not just do it right then.. <<

Thats my thought too - but some high school players and coaches dont understand what is happening out there - nor do they understand how to stop it. To be specific, my dd is being hbp or attempted hbp a lot, since the fall. Her sister is too young to play high school and her and one of her buds (who play for another school) are usually the ones that solve these issues.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Its not been my experience that most players dont know whats going on out there when it comes to this; maybe some ding bat coaches dont.. players (especially those worthy of some bean ball) seem to know exactly what is going on.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by FPdaddy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:05 am

Donnie,

Don't you find that about 80% of HS players don't play TB? You better exact some justice while you can!

Keith
FPdaddy

by DonnieS » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:36 am

The players dont see this as revenge / justice or whatever from what I can tell. When the kids were younger, and this stuff would start, I, as head coach, would stick my nose in their business, giving them biblical lectures about you shouldnt do this, you shouldnt do that, etc. etc.

All that is happening now is big sister is being targeted - and its one of those intimidation issues. Normally in a tb situation, someone hits someone on my team, and the best I can tell, is the girls talk and decide, was this intentional or just an out of control pitcher, and everyone make sure, keep Coach/Dad out of this, they do take advantage of my hearing problems. And then soon, usually very soon, there is an opposing player standing on first, holding tenderly on to a body part. The crap ends - and thats that.

Two of my pitchers can hit called body parts, and also are definite tirds themselves, so these things are settled very quickly. One is not in high school yet and the other plays for another high school. But usually what happens is - an incident occurs - I will see the girls high 5 each other and thats when I figure out something is going on. I will ask and they say 'Yea, Coach, whatever, go back to your bucket.'

Regarding % of travel players, everyone on our team plays travel at one level or another. But some havent faced a lot of what our group has, usually because of where people play. Maybe we play in rougher areas, I dont know.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FPdaddy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:33 am

I come from a baseball background. Protecting your teammates is an unwritten rule. The coach NEVER had to get involved. Even as young as 11, boys know how to control this type of behavior. Can you imagine the cheering happening in baseball? I find in fastpitch a reluctance on the players and coaches to use retaliation as a means to curb this nonsense. Girls playing high level TB KNOW when a pitch is intentional.

Keith
FPdaddy

by Intel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:47 am

DonnisS - I have not seen what is going on with your DD, but I have seen 4 HBP called back for interference with the pitch. Batters are hanging over the plate and the blues are calling them on it. I have yet to see why a HS player with a 33 inch bat and 24 inch reach need to crowd the plate. If they cannot reach a pitch, it probably is a ball. If you cannot get to pitch inside because it is under your hands, you are to close to the plate. These batters need to realize they are not U10 and U12 anymore.

We have continually set the tee to the outside of a plate and have a batter swing, they are amazed at how far off the plate they can stand and still get the sweet spot on the outside pitch, plus how much easier it is to get on the inside pitch.
Intel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 am

>> I find in fastpitch a reluctance on the players and coaches to use retaliation as a means to curb this nonsense. <<

I hate it - but some parents came and had a quiet talk with me after an incident. Their words were 'We respect what you are telling them about not intentionally hitting people - but let the girls take care of each other. Thats all they are doing - the blues wont help, they cant help, - let the girls handle it.' I still dont agree with it but I respected what they said. And they were right, the nonsense stopped. Keith, I am not talking about the cheering, though I dont think you are talking about the things my girls sing, one of their favorites is "Beer, Bait and Ammo ", I am talking about intentional HBPs.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FPdaddy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:25 am

Donnie,

I am strictly talking about INTENTIONAL HBP. Everyone involved in the game knows the difference between intentional and oops. The parents are correct, the blues should handle this but they NEVER do. The girls NEED to protect their teammate.

As far as the cheering goes, I was just saying that boys wouldn't even put up with that, nevermind having their best hitters beaned!

Keith
FPdaddy

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions