Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

hitting lessons how long/how often?

What's on your mind?

by FPdaddy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:17 am

Developing an elite swing takes a LONG time! How quickly one develops a high-level swing depends on lots of factors. Age, athletic ability, strength, hand-eye coordination, overcoming poor habits, how hard the player works at it, etc.

To me, a good indication of when you kid "gets it" is when the swing you see off the tee looks like the swing against good pitching. IOW, when facing good pitching, do the proper swing mechanics hold up OR do they revert back to the old hitting pattern? If the swing holds up...then you can back off of hitting lessons. JMHO

Keith
FPdaddy

by DonnieS » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:18 pm

>> Developing an elite swing takes a LONG time! How quickly one develops a high-level swing depends on lots of factors <<

So true. I have one that is getting there and I have one who the only thing she can hit hard is her coach.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Gone in 2.6 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:19 am

Judd wrote:How long do you take hitting lessons for and how often? 12U DD has been taking lessons for 2 months from a local instructor who is well regarded and seems to have done a good job with DD. She has missed a month due to injury and I have her scheduled to go back next week. Is there a point where we scale back and go every two weeks or every month?

After years of mixed results, I took over 18 Gold dd's hitting instruction around 12u. I did this by
standing on the shoulders of those that are smarter than me (Scott Ssarginson, Mark Hanson,
Larry Ray, Steve Englishbey, Mike Candrea, Karen Weekly among others) and checking anything we
are told against
slow motion video of the worlds best hitters. That "BS detector" has been invaluable.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Judd » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:11 am

so basically dont make any plans for that money spent on batting lessons anytime soon?
Judd

by coolstuff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:09 pm

I wonder about this too because the hitting instructor we go to is available only on Sunday afternoons, so tournament weekends are usually out (we certainly hope to still be playing on Sunday!) and sometimes a family obligation interferes. DD has yet to have a lesson two weeks in a row. We missed last Sunday because of a family obligation, and we're on vacation next week which will knock out two more Sundays. I'm more worried about frequency.
coolstuff

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions