Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

how do you get those action shots?

What's on your mind?

by Judd » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:06 pm

I have a Sony DHC5 digital camera. I am trying to take pictures and the camera is taking too long to record the image. It records an image 3/4 to a second later. The camera is set to sports mode. If I take a picture of a batter, I snap before the pitcher releases the ball, and it records the ball coming across the plate.

The camera has a burst mode and multi burst mode. The burst mode still takes too long as it pauses in between each picture. The multiburst actually works great as it takes 16 shots very rapidily. The problem is the camera puts it in one file and plays it like a movie and there seems to be no way to remove a single image. The manual even states single images cant be removed.

I am going to check the manual but maybe someone here can help. I am thinking shutter speed adjustment? What else? How do I fix this?
Judd

by TNSoftballDad » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:15 pm

I shoot semi-professionally (as in it's part of my job for the last three years). I believe the Sony DCH5 comes with a "built in" lens? I think it's going to be hard to get what you're looking for without upgrading your camera. At least I don't know too many tricks with that type of camera.

That said, my first suggestion is that you set the camera on manual...any other mode is probably going to attempt to adjust the shutter speed and other settings before it actually snaps, which is what I am guessing is causing the shutter lag.

If you do that, I'd suggest setting the ISO higher and keeping the shutter as fast as possible to avoid ghosting/blurring. Unless, of course, you're wanting to get that early bat blur. :D I'm guessing you can't adjust your F-stop but if you can, set it as high as possible to allow more light into the shot.

Another reason for the lag could be that the camera is having to focus. Pre-focus the shots by half-pushing down the button whose technical term I am drawing a blank on (like I said, semi-professional).

Don't know if this will help...I'm really only familiar with shooting with Nikon cameras and making trial-and-error adjustments.
TNSoftballDad

by jofus » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:56 am

A couple things I've found with my camera (fuji)...

It does a lot better in bright sunlight outdoors. Indoors and night games with artificial light make it a lot harder....

Plus, part of the blur may be from you moving the camera slightly as you take the pictures, you could try using a tripod or something similar to see if that helps.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Judd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 am

Its not blur, its the reaction time. I can snap the pic when the pitcher releases the ball but it actually records the batter in the middle of her swing. Its the delay

The camera has a movie option where you can record clips. I was thinking of using that for short periods but dont know of any prgram that I can pull still images from the clip
Judd

by TNSoftballDad » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:14 am

Are you auto-focusing on the area before you shoot?
TNSoftballDad

by Judd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:06 am

TNSoftballDad wrote:Are you auto-focusing on the area before you shoot?

I may not be. I know what you are referring to, I just dont know if I did it on these shots.
Judd

by TNSoftballDad » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:59 am

That'd be my first thought...try that and using manual settings since I'm pretty sure any other mode automatically adjusts the settings to the environment each time you snap. The fact that it's pausing between shots in the burst mode makes me think that is the case.

Hopefully that'll work.
TNSoftballDad

by Skarp » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:30 pm

I think you need to upgrade to a digital SLR. I have the Nikon D40x and am pretty happy with it. Pictures are instaneous, and in continuous mode it shoots 3 shots per second indefinitely (i.e., until the card is full). You can probably expect to invest $700-$1,000 for a camera in the D40x quality range (lower-end DSLR) and a decent lens or two. Prices for higher-end equipment are considerably higher.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:00 pm

If you are going to spend in the 700-1000, I would go for the Canon EOS 40D. Besides the other features of a good SLR, its able to shoot 6.5 pics per second. I have the canon rebel xt and its speed is 3 3.5 per second. Not bad - but if you are trying to get the pitcher in the K or the hitter at impact, the base stealer eating dirt (my favorite), the faster the better. But a monopod or tripod is also important to keep your hands from shaking, not a problem when I am filming my buds kid, big problem when filming my kids.

Canon EOS 40D
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TNSoftballDad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:36 pm

I've used both the Nikon D40 and Canon 40D, and I found the Canon to be a better overall product.

But yeah...if you want the best action shots, you'll have to spring the money for a camera like those.
TNSoftballDad

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions