Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

college cost reality

What's on your mind?

by crankshaft » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Blind Squirrel that was a heck of a stand-up moment! No harm done! Sorry if I didn't get the sarcasm in it.
crankshaft

by eclipse09 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:
crankshaft wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote: I think we'd all agree that this country started going downhill when we started believing females are capable in the workplace. Girls should divide their time between playing with dolls for fun and training for being a good housewife. Girls need to spend their time practicing their cooking skills Squirrel

Hey go ahead have your opinion but you don't speak for everybody because NO we all don't agree with that shit!

It was intended to be an obvious joke. I was raised by a single mother with 4 boys aged 1 to 10 when my Dad died from cancer. We weren't exactly rolling in the dough so I grew up watching my mother fix everything from leaking roofs to broken appliances. She went from working as an entry level bank admin to being the first woman vice president in that bank's history. Growing up my daughter routinely destroyed boys in athletic activities. Given my first hand experiences I would have to be a certified retard to underestimate what women can do.

I hope that clears up the misunderstanding. I apologize for any confusion I caused.

Phil Donahue Squirrel

Hey Squirrel, to reach out to the new batch of heybucketers, you probably should have signed off as Dr Phil Squirrel...... :lol:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:06 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:Seriously, I think being dependable, working hard and focusing on team objectives enables people to be successful in whatever line of work they do, regardless of college experience. Because so many people don't do those things. During my engineering days I worked with tons of people that were smarter than me. I don't recall working with any engineer with a degree from a college as crappy as the one I graduated from (Cal State Dominguez Hills). So I worked 70+ hour weeks while they worked 40. I did everything I could to help my teams win including cleaning up meeting rooms before my presentations if needed. As a direct result I got desirable opportunities that would surely have gone to others. My wife would tell you her whatever level of success she has achieved on the job has almost nothing to do with intellect or college. She started as a personal assistant to a telecomm VP and proceeded to completely work her arse off for years and years to get to the position she is in. She still works 12 hour days even though she's pushing 60. I'm guessing there are a whole lot of people with MBAs from great schools that will never achieve what she has achieved in the business world. Their education alone simply isn't enough.

Total Eclipse of the Squirrel

Skip college altogether and simply read and reread this post about a thousand times. You'll be just fine.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 am

I don't believe there is one course of action that is optimal for every child. I do not have a position on this beyond that. I'm just providing some personal info and some of the random related info I've encountered over the years. I have done no research in this area. I have 2 kids (late 20s), they both graduated from college, they are both employed and neither is working in their field of college study.

1. I have heard it said that jobs that used to require a HS diploma (or GED?) are increasingly requiring a college degree. I don't know the extent that that is true.

2. I believe that both my kids benefited from their college experience in a number of ways that have little/no direct impact on their employment prospects. I cannot quantify those benefits with any precision but that does not mitigate their value. This particular benefit is a bit less tangible than some others and seems more family economics related than some others. How much is personal enrichment from the college experience worth?

3. These days internships in college can be the difference between being able to get work in your field of study after college and never getting a job doing what the kid spent years studying for. That is based on what both my kids have seen happen with some of their college peers. (trivial sample size) Some worked as interns without pay but are now employed in their chosen field. If, for whatever reason, a kid simply can't both play a sport in college and work as an intern then which activity will likely be more important to their lives as adults?

4. College enabled me to get opportunities that I would never have gotten without my college degree. An engineering degree was required for this type of work. These were opportunities that were as good a fit for me as I could ever hope for. I strongly believe that my quality of life at work for years and years could hardly have been better as a direct result of college and hard work. Engineering has been an extremely important dimension of my life. It was only a year ago or so that we made my last student loan payment. It was well worth it to me.

5. I believe the most important way college prepared me for work as an engineer was teaching me how to think about problems. I estimate that I've used less than 5% of what I learned in college beyond that. I have never needed to use a differential equation at work. Or an integral. Or recursion. I don't draw any cosmic conclusions from this except I think a better job can be done in this area. I think such an effort should begin with recognition of this condition that results in a reorientation of our high school and college curriculums to better prepare our kids for whatever career choice best fits them.
Fun Facts: How much of what you folks learned in college have you actually used on the job?

This is such an important topic. As with so many things with parenting I don't believe one size fits all. While I don't doubt the seriousness that HB folks routinely attach to this issue I think this is one of those areas where delusions about one's kid's capabilities can result in suboptimal guidance with potentially significant negative consequences, intentions notwithstanding.

I cannot encourage others strongly enough to provide opposing views/information.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ocarterok » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:49 pm

I feel the same way about weddings. I rather give my daughters the 50k than spend it on the trappings of a wedding. I would love for them to use that money to start their married life with. But I get "Mom" shamed over that opinion. :( my girls love the idea though.
ocarterok
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:50 am

Good feedback and insight!

Along with the planning stages for college is taking a look-see at the cost of living after college.
How do you want to live?
Added benefit of travel ball is exposure to other states, weather, living lifestyles.
A young college bound adult, or just leaving the nest to make a go of it, not many are thinking of real cost issues.

Important questions,
How do you want to live?
How much will that cost?
How much money is Mom and Dad willing to take on or not?
And
Think the question shouldn't be Do you want to go to college?Rather it should be..
Why do you want to go to college?

One of the best learning experiences is high school age going and getting a job, yes while they're in high school!
Recognizing that job in your local town isn't really fun or interesting and the pay, after seeing what taxes are, doesn't stretch far. That life experience at a young age can make a big impression. Much much bigger then just sitting down and having a talk with your kid!!!
crankshaft

by Ivanhoe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:I don't believe there is one course of action that is optimal for every child. I do not have a position on this beyond that. I'm just providing some personal info and some of the random related info I've encountered over the years. I have done no research in this area. I have 2 kids (late 20s), they both graduated from college, they are both employed and neither is working in their field of college study.

1. I have heard it said that jobs that used to require a HS diploma (or GED?) are increasingly requiring a college degree. I don't know the extent that that is true.

2. I believe that both my kids benefited from their college experience in a number of ways that have little/no direct impact on their employment prospects. I cannot quantify those benefits with any precision but that does not mitigate their value. This particular benefit is a bit less tangible than some others and seems more family economics related than some others. How much is personal enrichment from the college experience worth?

3. These days internships in college can be the difference between being able to get work in your field of study after college and never getting a job doing what the kid spent years studying for. That is based on what both my kids have seen happen with some of their college peers. (trivial sample size) Some worked as interns without pay but are now employed in their chosen field. If, for whatever reason, a kid simply can't both play a sport in college and work as an intern then which activity will likely be more important to their lives as adults?

4. College enabled me to get opportunities that I would never have gotten without my college degree. An engineering degree was required for this type of work. These were opportunities that were as good a fit for me as I could ever hope for. I strongly believe that my quality of life at work for years and years could hardly have been better as a direct result of college and hard work. Engineering has been an extremely important dimension of my life. It was only a year ago or so that we made my last student loan payment. It was well worth it to me.

5. I believe the most important way college prepared me for work as an engineer was teaching me how to think about problems. I estimate that I've used less than 5% of what I learned in college beyond that. I have never needed to use a differential equation at work. Or an integral. Or recursion. I don't draw any cosmic conclusions from this except I think a better job can be done in this area. I think such an effort should begin with recognition of this condition that results in a reorientation of our high school and college curriculums to better prepare our kids for whatever career choice best fits them.
Fun Facts: How much of what you folks learned in college have you actually used on the job?

This is such an important topic. As with so many things with parenting I don't believe one size fits all. While I don't doubt the seriousness that HB folks routinely attach to this issue I think this is one of those areas where delusions about one's kid's capabilities can result in suboptimal guidance with potentially significant negative consequences, intentions notwithstanding.

I cannot encourage others strongly enough to provide opposing views/information.

John

1. that goes with the higher degrees as well. My mom is a Physical Therapist. She only has a Bachelors, now you need a Masters or a Doctorate.
As another Engineering grad, the two classes that I used the most are not engineering classes, they are Public Speaking and Technical Writing. If you can present an idea or solution with some intelligence, it's not going to get anywhere.
Ivanhoe

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions