Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Convo of the day; ideal roster depth

What's on your mind?

by eddiez577 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 am

I know this has been discussed to death on HB, but looking to get new opinions from a fresh set of minds without having to go back 4-10 years in the HB archives.

What is the ideal roster depth in TB? 10 (everyone plays, with 1 sub), 12 (rotate every 2 innings), 14, 16, 18, 20, 22???
Does it mater the age group?
Match the age group to number of players (12u = 12, 14u = 14, etc)?
Make a hybrid team with a A-level roster, B-level roster, and Gold level (All-Star) roster, but play under the same team name?
Seen it all, but want to hear your opinions. 8-)
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Desmo13 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm

starting 9
2 utilities (1 that can catch)
2 more pitchers

so,... 13
Desmo13
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:48 am

College :20-21

Travel- I always like 12 with a healthy player rotation. Best teams/situation my daughter played for coach had a mandated rotation that players and parents were aware of- also required to players to play two or more positions. Focus of the team was player development and playing experience. Coach announced that all players were all-stars(from various local HS) and that your parents paid to have you play, not sit. Team won a lot of games, players went on to higher levels and many still keep in touch almost ten years later

in four instances players wound up playing there "secondary" position when the went to college.
jonriv

by eclipse09 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:00 am

jonriv wrote:College :20-21

Travel- I always like 12 with a healthy player rotation. Best teams/situation my daughter played for coach had a mandated rotation that players and parents were aware of- also required to players to play two or more positions. Focus of the team was player development and playing experience. Coach announced that all players were all-stars(from various local HS) and that your parents paid to have you play, not sit. Team won a lot of games, players went on to higher levels and many still keep in touch almost ten years later

in four instances players wound up playing there "secondary" position when the went to college.

Spot on JR.

My oldest found a niche on a team that was just a level below gold, but had fewer players on the team and she was rotated nicely into her secondary position.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:19 pm

The team my dd was on that I referenced was 16u. 2 years same coach, Same rule. Had several games with just 9
jonriv

Return to Fastpitch Discussions