Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

tournament format DOUBLE ELIMINATION

What's on your mind?

by The Viking » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:53 pm

Just curious how the tournament format is done elsewhere?DE 4gg with 2 pool games - seeded into bracket OR ever seen this format DE -2 pool games also called practice games going into pre selected bracket with no seeding.In other words pool games mean nothing and the bracket is already set up...
The Viking

by DonnieS » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:00 pm

Every double elimination 4gg tournament we have ever been to, have two non-seeding pool games. We play in Texas mostly.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Big Mamma » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:06 pm

I understand the concept however I don't care for it much. I think you need to earn your keep on any given tourney. You show up play a few games in pool play and if things don't pan out, you must play your ... off to get to the championship. Period. No need for a hall pass cause your status.

Hope to see some of you Memorial weekend. I know who's who.... ;)

BTW: You should check out these guys from PSSG, they seem to be taking travel ball for atleast local teams here, where it needs to be. I've always felt we were being shafted a tad on awards and as much as it's about the sport, competition and sportmanship you still want to feel your getting something in return should you win and or place.
Big Mamma

by Randi Jo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:39 am

First - I prefer to have pool play results effect the bracket play.

However, there really is no difference from last years 12U Nationals as the pool play results had no bearing on where a first seed team landed. SoCal - Pacific Region drew first based on alphabetical order, then the rest of the region and then fill-ins for that region. Due to the small number of participants last year, they could only protect the SoCal teams from the first round, which is why so many SoCal teams faced each other in the 2nd round.

It looks to me like this new ASA Nationals format is only going to benefit the Pacific Region, specifically, So Cal ASA. We will get the first draw, as usual, and we are guaranteed not to see eachother until the 3rd round if the usual 70+ teams participate.
Randi Jo

Return to Fastpitch Discussions