Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Same old story... but why?

What's on your mind?

by FPdaddy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:37 pm

My DD attended three tryouts. She was offered a spot on all three teams. I didn't get a good feeling from one coach so we narrowed our options to just two. I didn't know any of the coaches and my DD didn't know any girls. Long story short...both opportunities seemed about the same. So I asked each coach..."what role do you envision for my DD"?

One coach explained that my DD would pitch in every tourney during pool play and would have to earn pitching time in elimination games. He also said she would see plenty of time at 2B and in the outfield.

Coach #2 stuttered and stamered and made peculiar faces. He was obviously uncomfortable with the question itself.

Guess which team we picked?

I don't see any reason coaches can't commit playing time to players. This is a two way street...a relationship where the coach surely wants a commitment from their players. How would a coach react if a player committed to play then afterwards told the coach that she also plays basketball and will be missing softball activities from time to time? The coach would feel like the family deceived them by not telling him BEFORE he offered the spot. We MUST remember, this is a game and it is for the girls NOT the coaches.

JMHO

Keith
FPdaddy

by wadeintothem » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:41 pm

FPdaddy wrote:Guess which team we picked?

I'll take a shot at it: You picked the one who buffalo'd you instead of being uncomfortable with a question he cant/didnt want to honestly answer based on what he observed at tryouts..
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by FPdaddy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:53 pm

No, we picked the team with an honest, open coach who was confident enough to answer a simple question. Keep in mind, coach #2 offered my DD a spot on the team. He must have seen something he liked.

The point is, parents and kids need to be comfortable with the team they play on. The team BELONGS to the players NOT the coaches just like your kids school belongs to the kids not the teachers.

We played 9 tourneys with this team last season and the coach was true to his word. Why anyone would have a problem with that is beyond me.

Choosing the right team is a subjective process...we went with the coach that made us the most comfortable and have been happy with our decision.

For the OP, keep looking, the right team is out there for your DD.

Keith
FPdaddy

by wadeintothem » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:33 pm

FPdaddy wrote:No, we picked the team with an honest, open coach who was confident enough to answer a simple question.

Really?

Then why is this post here...
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by FPdaddy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:52 pm

It's late, but I don't follow your last post???
FPdaddy

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions