Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Unified softball system ?

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:19 am

Not promoting unified system,
& Not trying to start some activist movement to get that started. Just inquiring to those who may know how that works
in other sports.

From a different softball discussion. Poster brought up in other sports they have a unified system for teams.

[spazdad/quote]
"I believe this could be cleaned up if TB behaved like other club sports" [quote]

As we know in travel ball softball there is no unified system across the board for teams.
Would like to ask your feedback on how those teams are organized and facilitated in other sports.
Would that be compatible with travel ball softball?
Is it state-to-state or across the nation?
What are the pros and cons?
Last edited by Hinky on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hinky

by PairOfAces » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:06 am

I don't believe that would work in true travel ball - too much money to be made from people willing to play it, and too many organizations that already have a slice of the pie and won't give it up. I think there is enough to go around, or there would not be so many "National Championship" or "World Series" tournaments that exist and have been around for a pretty long time. I will say that this past PGF tournament (our first as a participant) had the most legit feel to it than the others I have been to. Very strong teams from all over the country gave it a true National championship feel.

Little League Girls softball must be pretty successful in some parts of the country, as it gets its "World Series" for a couple of age groups on national TV The closest (to me in So Cal) softball little league that I know of is in Fontana, and I only know one girl who played in that league - and we've been involved in softball for about a dozen years.

PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:45 am

It would be nice to have some kind of unified system with team rankings, rosters etc among all the organizations. I know that TCS has tried to do some ranking systems, but relied on teams reporting. One would think the technology exists for this to happen, but I really don't thing it will.

Even when ASA was "King" they did not have any kind of Unified system-there are just too many organizations and too many teams that cross organizations. My DDs travel team back in 2010 played in TCS, PONY, ASA, and NSA tournaments during one season.

Right now ASA probably has the most teams, PGF has a smaller, but certainly powerful(elite) teams. In the Northeast PONY is still big with USSSA trying to make a stake(smatterings of ASA and NSA) I'm sure different organizations are around in every region. It would be nice if they could all agree on a "standard" and have some kind of online rating system, but I'm not holding my breath,
jonriv

Return to Fastpitch Discussions