Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

when org's pick apart their teams

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:57 am

we know that organizations will draw better players from all of their teams to try and create a super team within the organization to compete at nationals.
many times this is done at the beginning of the season (just after summer nationals) where players are picked and chosen to come together to train all year play together to develop so when they get to Nationals hopefully they'll be outstanding as a team. definitely can understand this strategy taking from Farm teams so to speak to do this.

However the topic I'd like to address here is when these organizations are pulling and picking apart their teams 1 month before Nationals.

What the heck?! while there are some families and players that are thrilled to be chosen to be part of the 'super team' what generally happens is they tear apart their other teams by pulling the better players. leaving teams who have trained together and have a determination to win and have already qualified for Nationals and pgf Nationals that organizations are pulling two, three or four of their players sometimes more to do this. recently heard of a couple teams that their organizations pulled four players from each of their teams. pretty much turning it into a completely different team by taking their top critical players.
Players are upset
Parents are pissed off
The coach of the now Picked apart
team left to scrounge players last minute....there's a difference between something that has been planned well in advance versus something that's happening last minute. In a previous post we've talked about player release and rules that go along with that. Obviously the organizations have started doing this routinely. They can release their own players to each other try and benefit the organization's NAME ....at what cost to their reputation?
in Southern California there is always new players who are willing to go to the organizations that do this. the parents that leave the org, leave on a negative note. many times the coaches leave the organization as well! definitely have talk to coaches who leave organizations to go to another to have the same thing happen. coaches have said they felt under pressure by the organization to have to release players. The Good the Bad and the Ugly the shuffle continues!

any good suggestions to organizations or teams within the organization to help secure the team for their players when a team has been playing together all year? say an organizational promise? LOL thats funny... Or frozen roster by earlier date within org's?
Hinky

by Sam » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Its what they do, Hink. They're run by guys and gals that make a living off of doing well at Nationals and "getting" kids into colleges. Their income is based on this and from the lessons they provide to their players. The parents seek out these teams, the coaches at the lower levels want to join the organizations because it helps with their recruiting. The parents love to brag about their kid playing on so and so's whatevers. Then, when the org wants their cut of the dues and steals their players, the parents and coaches complain. They got what they deserve. These orgs only exist for the financial benefit of the franchise owners.

If these folks don't like it, play or coach with a smaller org.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:36 pm

Sam wrote:Its what they do, Hink. They're run by guys and gals that make a living off of doing well at Nationals and "getting" kids into colleges. Their income is based on this and from the lessons they provide to their players. The parents seek out these teams, the coaches at the lower levels want to join the organizations because it helps with their recruiting. The parents love to brag about their kid playing on so and so's whatevers. Then, when the org wants their cut of the dues and steals their players, the parents and coaches complain. They got what they deserve. These orgs only exist for the financial benefit of the franchise owners.

If these folks don't like it, play or coach with a smaller org.

This has always gone on, but for the past ten years it seems to have reached an industrial scale.

As Sam said, if you don’t like it you can take your player/$$$$ elsewhere!
jonriv

by Hinky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 am

the rules for pgf are posted on their website. This is not to try and dispute the rules as they are written.

Yes players who were on teams who had already qualified for pgf Nationals we're pulled from their team. that is currently playing in pgf Nationals to play on a another team within their organization also playing in pgf Nationals. Same age bracket.

not a secret that this happens,
and not surprised at the ego of
the people who do this.
rules are not binding if it goes unchecked, unnoticed or found a loophole.
Last edited by Hinky on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hinky

by Hinky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:02 am

apparently that seems like its happened again.

for the long term people in travel ball in
time, tend to figure out these things happen. I noticed there's a lot of families that have no clue about what they're getting into, so discussing and sharing topics and stories like this hopefully will give people a chance to figure it out sooner, or at least have a heads up that this could happen. Hopefully coaches in these situations can find a way to not let this happento there team. just trying to bring it to discussion for a way to keep their individual teams intact.

what are your suggestions?
Hinky

by Sam » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:56 am

Spazsdad wrote:Regarding your assertion that players are leaving nationals qualified teams for other teams I have no suggestions because as far as I know that is against the rules.
That is why I was asking if f it is somehow happening. If that was not your assertion then I misread

They can certainly leave a team that got their berth from the previous year's nationals until the Championship roster is submitted.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 pm

how many rosters are actually checked against previous rosters? possibly too many teams for them to verify all that's going on behind the scenes.
there are also multiple teams within multiple organizations. even some teams with the exact same coaching staff on different teams.

the shuffle of the players probably will always continue to happen, that may be inevitable. Still terrible a team that dedicated itself to hard work,
earned a birth, was put in this
situation.

Have Heard of occasions a coach who had more than one team entering both teams in the same tournament and the tournament directors made a mix up and put the wrong team in the wrong bracket.
just saying realistically there's a lot of names and a lot of rosters floating around over the year.
Hinky

by jonriv » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:14 pm

I remember organizations with multiple teams would send teams to various nationals (asa, nsa, pony) and cherry pick players from each of the teams to send stronger teams to particular tournaments
jonriv

by Sam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:31 am

jonriv wrote:I remember organizations with multiple teams would send teams to various nationals (asa, nsa, pony) and cherry pick players from each of the teams to send stronger teams to particular tournaments

At least in the SoCal area, the other competitive teams would report violations such as have been mentioned in this thread to the governing body. The issue was that the governing body had no spine. I don't know if this is the case with PGF. I don't know if it is a by product of numerous teams from the same organizations qualifying for Nationals and being told by the franshisor to remain silent. I don't know if it is because of the multiple franchisors of big organizations being so close to PGF management. Could be a combination of all of the above.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by E Train Dad » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 am

Report the violations to the "Governing Body" of PGF?? Who do you think is the worst offenders of the last minute roster flipping before the deadline? It's those "Invited teams" that are lead by the governing body of PGF! The teams that qualify the legit way don't have a chance against this loaded system!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions