Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

player release for nationals

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 am

here's the scenario
12u player leaves her travel ball team 4 months before pgf Nationals. Happens to be a pitcher.
the coach of the team she left
would not release the player off her roster even though their team did not already have a birth to Nationals. then same team even upon trying to qualify for Nationals did not qualify, and still would not release player. as pgf is so magical about handing out freebies at the last minute the said team received a free birth to pgf Nationals.

about one month prior to the old team getting the free birth the player did
make an appeal to pgf to let her play on her new team and they denied her appeal.

if the team had not qualified for Nationals and they didn't she would have been able to pitch on her new team that did earn a birth. for one week there was excitement that she was going to be able to pitch on her new team. Then they found out her old team is now going to pgf Nationals so she cannot play.

what's the consensus on this scenario and releasing a player in 12u?
imo, -player Left 4 months ago,
this is 12u,
they asked several months ago to be released. should have released the player.
Hinky

by jonriv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am

Why did she leave? On what terms? was money owed? Still have uniform and equipment? Lots of key facts missing here Hinky!!!
jonriv

by Hinky » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 am

jonriv wrote:Why did she leave? On what terms? was money owed? Still have uniform and equipment? Lots of key facts missing here Hinky!!!

I get that JR, if somebody owed money or equipment they can hold back releasing player or if there was a big nasty vengeful fight, uhhh to some that would be another reason to hold that release over their head,
No money issues
All Equiptment returned
No giant blowout, family left team did not care for direction team was taking.
and no I will not say what the coaches name is nor the organization. not posting this to hand out a warning. just a topic. just a topic. just a topic that currently is happening, not my kid, not my team just a topic.
Hinky

by onlooker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:24 am

4 months ago was March 11, 2018. I know the specific date doesn't matter, what matters is IF and only IF she played in a qualifier. If she did, then her parents should have known what it means to sign up for PGF.

Unless this team not releasing her went to Houston for a qualifier, then in theory, this player was not on any roster as she would have had to of played in a qualifier and listed (and signed up) as team member.

Im going to assume that this player played in a qualifier. If so, not a lick can be done without coach consent during qualifying season.

You know my feelings on the local coaches here, this is par for the course if it is as you have described with these daddies. Ill even guess that this was a Batbusters teram, Id even guess the coach too (i got a feeling).

Now....unless something has changed....... here is how it is supposed to work.. Once qualifiers are over, the second the last qualifier is played, for all teams that did not get a berth EVERYONE who played in a qualifier is released. EVERYONE. This doesn't take any action from any coach. It just happens

Someone correct me if I am wrong here: Teams who get invited after the qualifier have to provide a new PGF roster. That roster must include ONLY eligible players.

My point... if the team she was on, who now was given a berth... and IF that berth was given "AFTER" qualifiers were over, she is already released and not tied to any team. go to PGF.

check my thoughts, but that is my understanding at BOTH ASA and PGF... once qualifiers are over, ALL non qualified players can play for ANYONE they want, without some jackwad daddies approval.
onlooker

by onlooker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

ASA you would have had to of played in the region you want to join the team.. i will add that.
onlooker

by jonriv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

Did they contact the former coach and ask why?
jonriv

by onlooker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:58 am

Trying to summarize what I said:

If you stil owe 2000$ in dues
If you still owe all of your uniforms
If you did NOT qualify for PGF and qualifiers are over

there is NO coach who can stop you from playing for ANY team at PGF. (dues and uniforms and hatred towards coach are all meaningless to PGF and ASA, which is why they release everyone immediately at conclusion of qualifiers).

If you owe 2000$ in dues
If you owe all of your uniforms
If you played in a qualifier and the team did NOT qualify for PGF and qualifiers are over

there is NO coach who can stop you from playing on ANY team at PGF, as all non qualified rosters are released.

This timeframe between ending of qualifiers and the berth is what is in question now, for me.
onlooker

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Thats just a coach being a jerk!!!!!. If a kid wants to leave I let them go and release em right away thats a crappy thing to do to the kid. If they owe money thats one thing but not releasing them is just a shitty and vengeful thing to do
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Yes onlooker, time frame good
question. to the written perspective seems like on pgf site it's not the second they don't qualify that the players are released, rather a date.

team did not qualify
as of june-24.
pgf rule says as of July 1st if players teams did not qualify they are released.
sometime after 6-24 pgf offered the team a free birth.

Curve AGREE!!
Hinky

by onlooker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:11 pm

OK, i think there is one clarification I cant answer. But I still think my hunch that invites after qualifiers have to give roster a new roster.

you have me reading the regs which i havent in a while/

All players rostered on a team that does not qualify for PGF will not be released from that team without one of the following:

Written release from the head coach. Release must be sent to PGF Corporate Office
Head Coach declares they are no longer pursuing PGF berth. This must be in writing to the PGF Corporate Office
After July 1st, 2018, all players from non-qualified/invited teams will be automatically released without written permission and free to play with any team at PGF as long as they are age eligible for that division.

I see the dilemma, correct me if this timeline is wrong.

June 24, team has NOT qualified.
After June 24 and Before July 1 the team was given an invite.
If that is the timeline, i see the July 1 issue.

Id be on the phone/email to Bret Denio, bret.denio@pgf-mail.com

as that 7 day invite period and a DICK of a 12U head coach, is the reason a 12U girl wont be able to go to PGF.

now, all that being said.... not a big deal, not a deal breaker. We had no coaches at our 12U pgf games, played very well in bracket play.... no one there for us playing the heralded suncats (ya, the 99 suncats).... so, i would comfort the patents and player if it doesnt work out by saying, really, you arent missing that much, and it is not a defining moment in recruiting.

if that helps.
onlooker

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions