Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

The Next Level Update/Coach accused of Sex Crime

What's on your mind?

by Skarp » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 am

americanfreedom wrote:This post is not an comment on the guilt or innocence of the TNL coach. The whole incident is sad regardless of the outcome. This post is simply an effort to help people understand the actual wrongful conviction rate in this country because of the misinformation above. The most respected liberal and conservative scholars in the country agree that the wrongful conviction number is between 7,500 to 10,000 people a year for all crimes.

A 1997 FBI study of 12,000 rape cases concluded that as many as 25 percent of all rape claims are false. Subsequent research by multiple scholars has suggested that the false charge may exceed 33 percent of all cases. That is, the rape may have occurred, but the wrong man is accused. Since 1989 when post-conviction DNA testing was first performed, more than 205 men have been acquited of rape by post-conviction DNA testing. In otherwords, about 10 a year. This, however, only includes those cases where a post-convictin DNA test was authorized by the and/or available. Post-conviction DNA testing is rarely, if ever, conducted in plea bargain cases.

Wrongfull convictions are a far cry from false charges, and even further still from false claims. What percentage of the false claims you cite resulted in charges being filed? How many of those that did result in charges were subsequently dismissed for lack of evidence or due to witness recantment? Finally, how many false charges resulted in wrongful convictions...and where does that number come from? My point is this: I don't think that the 25%-33% false claim statistic tells us much about the wrongful conviction rate in rape cases.

But more importantly for our purposes here, whether the TNL coach is actually guilty is pretty much irrelevant. We know that the claim is at the very least facially credible, and that the DA saw fit to file charges. So the issue isn't guilt or innocence, but rather what measures are being taken to ensure that lasting harm isn't done to the sport and to those who donate their time, passion and effort to make it so rewarding for our kids. If softball as an institution (which includes TNL, ASA, and even the participants on this board) reacts swiftly and decisively with respect to credible claims of this nature, it instills confidence that we're on it...that improper conduct isn't tolerated in our sport, and thus that folks can feel relatively safe allowing their kids to participate in it.

Adopting the position of the accused's legal team, as if "innocent until proven guilty" is the standard that should apply here, is simply wrongheaded.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:44 pm

Skarp wrote:Adopting the position of the accused's legal team, as if "innocent until proven guilty" is the standard that should apply here, is simply wrongheaded.

Correct. The reason for such a high standard is because the accused stands to lose his liberty and be imprisoned. So the state bears the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Softball doesnt hold that power. Their duty is to protect the kids. The only thing they could do is keep the coach away from their teams (presuming TNL can in fact do this). The standard of proof can be much lower.

I think 2 kids under 18 leveling accusations, one with enough credibility to reach the standard of "probable cause" for a judge to issue an arrest warrant, is enough smoke to believe there is fire and to run him out.

To the people who are sick of this thread... dont click the thread. Its not rocket surgery and thats not too difficult to figure out.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Skarp » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:46 am

wadeintothem wrote:Its not rocket surgery...

That may be the ultimate mixed metaphor...right up there with "an ounce of prevention is nine tenths of the law." :mrgreen:
Last edited by Skarp on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:52 am

Rocket Surgery. Not to be confused with Rocket Ride :lol:
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Sam » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 am

Lets face it....this isn't Brain Science.....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by umpinva » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:03 pm

Sam wrote:Lets face it....this isn't Brain Science.....

Not to be confused with Brain Food.
umpinva

by Sam » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:10 pm

umpinva wrote:
Sam wrote:Lets face it....this isn't Brain Science.....

Not to be confused with Brain Food.

Food for Thought???????
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:35 pm

If you hear hoof beats, for chris sakes, think of horses.. not these zebras.

Its not a zebra here.

Its a horse.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by ssarge » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:19 pm

If Occam's Razor was the operational mandate for web boards, there would be nothing to discuss, and there would be no web boards.

I really think this is an awful situation, and it happens alltogether too frequently across the softball landscape. And I'm not sure there is an easy answer, other than reasonable vigilence, and spending a LOT of time with your kids.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by wadeintothem » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 am

ssarge wrote:

If Occam's Razor was the operational mandate for web boards, there would be nothing to discuss, and there would be no web boards.

Scott

Well.. it would certainly be a lot less fun...
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions