Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Balls and Strikes

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:37 pm

I will say that I saw some very good officiating at the Champions cup this weekend very consistent strike zones. Made for better games I thought they were ASA blues but Im assuming they are alsp PGF blues because I recognized a few of them.
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:43 am

My 2 cents:
1.) Not enough respect and pay for Umpires creating a shortage and a situation where you have those willing to work possibly being put on the field only knowing as little as 80% (aprx) of the rules.
2.) A couple years back there was quite a bit of hub bub about shortening and widening the strike zone ... If the powers that be want to alter the strike zone then they should change the rules to fit that criteria.
3.) Crappy Umpires. ( I know a few - too lazy to study or too old / young to care )
4.) Whining pitchers and coaches. ( I've had such assistants and pitchers )
5.) Perception - Many moons ago I thought I'd make a good cop and was going through the process ... During one of the elimination rounds they had someone run through the room, do something suspicious and leave ... Then afterwards everyone had to right a description of the person and what they did ... Lets just say there were many different versions ( I wasn't invited back for the next round - LOL ).
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Hinky » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:36 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:My 2 cents:
1.) Not enough respect and pay for Umpires creating a shortage and a situation where you have those willing to work possibly being put on the field only knowing as little as 80% (aprx) of the rules.
2.) A couple years back there was quite a bit of hub bub about shortening and widening the strike zone ... If the powers that be want to alter the strike zone then they should change the rules to fit that criteria.
3.) Crappy Umpires. ( I know a few - too lazy to study or too old / young to care )
5.) Perception - Many moons ago I thought I'd make a good cop and was going through the process ... During one of the elimination rounds they had someone run through the room, do something suspicious and leave ... Then afterwards everyone had to right a description of the person and what they did ... Lets just say there were many different versions ( I wasn't invited back for the next round - LOL ).

Like the breakdown here GIM-
Another approach with it.

1) Respect- should be mutually common for everyone on the field! And is generally lost when someone is crappy. As for $ pay, think the umpire's get paid enough. Possibly a grading scale to curve how much they get paid by performance, lower pay versus better pay might be an encouragement to do better.
Instead of everyone gets paid the same pay even if they suck. Or as you put it only know 80% of the rules. Lower testing score less pay?

2) Consideration of changing the strike zone. Would still leave an opinion up to calling balls and Strikes, things wouldn't change.

3) Crappy umpires. Well get rid of them! Or get over it! Everyone gets their share!

4) Whining coaches and pitchers. Don't play for them , don't have them on your team!. Doesn't help the game in any way!

5) PERCEPTION- Best point made in the post! Most plays on the field might look a little different depending on what angle anybody is watching from.
That would directly result in a perception that forms an opinion that may have an interpretation that most certainly somebody else's perception would be different and change their opinion to reinforce their interpretation. Best thing 'get over it' everybody has to deal with their percentage of mistakes!
From umpires or otherwise!
Hinky

by Sam » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:27 am

Hinky wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:My 2 cents:

Like the breakdown here GIM-
Another approach with it.

1) Respect- should be mutually common for everyone on the field! And is generally lost when someone is crappy. As for $ pay, think the umpire's get paid enough. Possibly a grading scale to curve how much they get paid by performance, lower pay versus better pay might be an encouragement to do better.
Instead of everyone gets paid the same pay even if they suck. Or as you put it only know 80% of the rules. Lower testing score less pay?

2) Consideration of changing the strike zone. Would still leave an opinion up to calling balls and Strikes, things wouldn't change.

3) Crappy umpires. Well get rid of them! Or get over it! Everyone gets their share!

4) Whining coaches and pitchers. Don't play for them , don't have them on your team!. Doesn't help the game in any way!

5) PERCEPTION- Best point made in the post! Most plays on the field might look a little different depending on what angle anybody is watching from.
That would directly result in a perception that forms an opinion that may have an interpretation that most certainly somebody else's perception would be different and change their opinion to reinforce their interpretation. Best thing 'get over it' everybody has to deal with their percentage of mistakes!
From umpires or otherwise!

1) Grading scale....that's funny.

2) Doesn't matter what strike zone is in the rules, they will call what they think is a strike. It should just be consistent.

3) You'll get rid of crappy umpires when.......you get rid of crappy coaches. Not going to happen.

4) The whiny coaches are normally the dads of the whiny pitchers. Crappy managers will keep them just to keep the pitcher.

5) Too many of us watch the games with our hearts and not our eyes.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:32 am

Sam, your #4
Spot on and
Damn Funny!!! :lol:
Hinky