Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Male Coaches in College Sofbtall

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:14 am

Hinky wrote:Generationally that's changed. Starting some decades ago.
Maybe you were taking a nap there Rip Van Winkle. ;)
There are pitchers who have been instructed by only female instructors.
Now they're teaching and on
college coaching staff. Lot of pitchers who played years ago have taught and are teaching their own daughters to pitch. I know a list of pitchers from over the years who have taught their dd's. Additionally
From the numbers looking on instructor ads and first hand feedback, imo appears there are more female pitching instructors in California than there are male.

Duh.....thats math. If a male instructor has 50 studends....all female,....the odds would be that thenumber female instructors would dwarf the number of male instructors.

My kid had only male instructors: Smith, Lindsay, Sarno, and a couple of others. Those guys did teach legal mechanics.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:23 am

My kid had only male instructors: Smith, Lindsay, Sarno, and a couple of others. Those guys did teach legal mechanics.

So it’s all the other guys. Uh ok.
Last edited by Chin Music on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:36 am

Glad you finally agree on something in the present!
NONE of the pitching instructors familiar with and feedback from other pitching instructors students teach re-plant. NONE!
___

Also think it's reasonable that some umpires don't know all the rules and don't know what they're looking at all the time. Chalk it up to human error, human inefficiency, or maybe even human stupidity, arrogance, ego and just laziness. Just saying there are plenty of things on the softball field and in sports in general that umpiring referees miss a call or get it wrong.

Should that be blamed on a gender because most umpires seem to be men? NO
Hinky

by Sam » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:20 am

Hinky wrote:Glad you finally agree on something in the present!
NONE of the pitching instructors familiar with and feedback from other pitching instructors students teach re-plant. NONE!
___

Also think it's reasonable that some umpires don't know all the rules and don't know what they're looking at all the time. Chalk it up to human error, human inefficiency, or maybe even human stupidity, arrogance, ego and just laziness. Just saying there are plenty of things on the softball field and in sports in general that umpiring referees miss a call or get it wrong.

Should that be blamed on a gender because most umpires seem to be men? NO

We haven't agreed on anything. My kid was taught by some great instructors.....and some not so great instructors....ones that taught bad mechanics. Cat Osterman came out to Mike Smith occasionally for lessons, but her main pitching coach in Texas either taught her illegal mechanics or never corrected it. I'm not talking solely about SoCal.

The umpires aren't to blame. They are to be lauded when they call the IP's as well as slappoers making contact outside the box......most of them actually bunt with their left foot on HP. The game wouldn't be interrupted if the kids would play legally.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 am

Sam wrote:
college coaching staff. Lot of pitchers who played years ago have taught and are teaching their own daughters to pitch. I know a list of pitchers from over the years who have taught their dd's. Additionally
From the numbers looking on instructor ads and first hand feedback, imo appears there are more female pitching instructors in California than there are male.

Duh.....thats math. If a male instructor has 50 studends....all female,....the odds would be that thenumber female instructors would dwarf the number of male instructors.

"Duh"
"And the female instructors learned from"
Agree or disagree, glad you can do math.
Hinky

by Sam » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 am

Hinky wrote:
Sam wrote:

"Duh"
"And the female instructors learned from"
Agree or disagree, glad you can do math.

Somebody has to....
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 am

Schmick, some of those guys you mentioned are male instructors but they never played the game at least I never heard of them playing. Maybe Chin remembers he played back in the golden ages!!!

By the way Chin yes I played this past weekend I was supposed to play for Those Guys, but I ended up playing for a different team it was rough!!!! I should have played with Those Guys!!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:56 am

Yeah, I don't know if any of those guys played, I've never actually even seen a dudes fastpitch game, only heard they have dudes who can throw in the 80s. I was just running off a few names of guys in this area who have coached girls on teams my niece has played on..

The guy who started coaching my niece when she was 7 has sent his daughter's to D1 schools and now has 2 grand daughter's heading to D1, one to an SEC school this year and one who is in the class of 2020. He's a neighbor and she still goes to his house to work in some of his cages on hitting and pitching and he finally stopped trying to turn her in to an Angel after 4 years of us saying, no thanks to that organization.

The female coach she goes to is a total stud, pitched in the CWS and lead all of D1 in RBIs that season. She's also tiny, about 4 inches shorter than my 13 year old niece so she will show her how to get every bit out of herself that's in there. After playing in college she played professionally here and over seas and coached in college.
Not sure I could be happier than I am with the 2 coaches my niece goes to.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:45 am

The ones mentioned that I played with with or against in the “golden years” that I can remember were Joe Salcido, Jason Illuli, Reno Rico, Don Sarno, Mike Smith, Sean Barker and I’ll add Robert Ward and Ray Smith. All former and current men’s pitchers.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Geez how old was Sean Barker then?? He is only like 37 now....I heard his brother Spud was pretty damn good though
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions