Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

has work ethic changed?

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:07 am

while work ethic itself I don't believe has changed....
I think theres a greater percentage families/players have a different interpretation of what work ethic is now.
Workhorse players are harder to come by. Obviously the attrition factor with all the multiple teams ,especially in SoCal, spread out the percentage of hard-working players so each team gets a few. Yet we see the top teams have established work ethic. perhaps they only pick up players with work ethic to begin with. which I completely agree with!
So how do the average teams create and develop that dynamic? I do see coaches included in this lack of work ethic where they let the players be sloppy. why are you hitting grounders to athletes who are standing up rather than in their athletic position?! Have they lowered their standard of work ethic because thats the norm for them now because that's all they see?

reflecting on the past ( 20 years ago) developing work ethic was part of being on a team. families wanted to support holding a training standard to be part of making a team better. That interpretation of work ethic seems to have changed.
examples - parents calling a coach and complaining because players had to jog a mile at the beginning of practice.
are they complaining because the standards at school are now the kids get to walk the mile and take the entire PE class to do it and that becomes the normal standard of work ethic to them?

what's the feedback on this?
Hinky

by Pale Rider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:38 am

Cant really say all the kids are like that now. Being lazy isn't a recent development...and I don't blame the kids nearly as much as I blame the parents.

but I will enlighten those who want to be lazy, the game will leave you behind.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 am

Jesus Christ......its a f*cking game. Work ethic applies to ......jobs. This isn't a job for these kids.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 am

Sam wrote:Jesus Christ......its a f*cking game. Work ethic applies to ......jobs. This isn't a job for these kids.

I disagree, work ethic applies to all areas of life, be it play, employment, making music, studies or whatever ... It's partly the willingness to put forth the effort necessary to improve ... But also the ability to understand and problem solve ... Being able to see something that needs to be done and in a team environment, how you can participate to reach a common goal.

A few years ago, I took over a HS team that was in shambles ... It was not hard to see which girls weren't made to do anything at home ... My assistant said one day of one athlete who demonstrated good work ethic from the start that " It's almost like she was raised on a farm" ... We laughed because it was an inner city school ... Turned out, she lived outside of town on a farm ... Although she had never played softball before, she understood right away about putting away ball buckets, picking up the bases, sweeping the dugouts, hanging the bats etc etc ... On the field she pushed herself to be better and work harder than the others .... Other gals who had no work ethic had to be shown.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:11 am

Yes, to some degree I think it has changed ... I believe it is being enabled by kids not being taught, or allowed to help at home from a young age ... Kids not being allowed to be kids ... Sports all having to be organized and not 'sand-lot' ....Parents making excuses for the kids and not allowing them to struggle or problem solve on their own ... It all turns out kids who do not see the benefit of working towards a goal, but instead having ready made solutions placed in their laps.
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Pale Rider » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 am

I agree with G'poo...
If a kids desires are to play at their next level with the culmination being a collegiate career, hopefully a paid education...
It is work...period

Those who get better thru 'work' are the ones who'll play in college...which college ball in itself is a JOB, Student / Athlete is the term but ball is what pays...(barring an academic deal) But straight A's doesn't get a player on the field...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dusty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 am

I don't know if I'd say the work ethic has changed but the culture of softball changes arguably for the worse as players age up.

I remember those first couple of years of travel where there's a fresh energy to it as your playing three weekends a month over the spring and summer and your dd is making friends outside of her schoolmates and unlike the school friends she was playing rec with most of them can actually play. Dw and I started to get worn down by the grind before our dd's did, all those uniforms to constantly wash while our house and yard was falling apart through neglect.

Then sometime around 14u or so the local/regional travel scene becomes inadequate for many local players and they bolt off for a team two or three states away that play the most competitive tourneys all over the country and have connections to college coaches at top schools, blah, blah,blah.. If you don't bolt for one of those mega-org teams then it gets harder to find good competitive bracket tournaments without a long drive or short flight so you either play in your share of crappy local or regional tournaments or worse, start playing showcases. We did our share of both.

The idealistic dreamer in me would like to see the impact of these new recruiting rule changes be that more players stay in regional travel longer and there are more competitive bracket tournaments because the recruiting process starts later but I'm not holding my breath for that. It would also be cool if the mega-orgs limited themselves to no more than 3-4 teams per age group. I've been dissapointed more times than I can count the times my dd has warmed up to pitch against some mega-org uniforms only to realize they were just as bad as a local B team.
dusty

Return to Fastpitch Discussions