Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

coaches coach- parents ?

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:41 am

coaches doing parenting?
parents not doing parenting?
How do we separate these roles?

it seems with many different parenting styles that coaches are dealing with the crossover of some parents not doing their job. Perhaps some parents think just drop off their kid and the coaches job is to mold that young person into well.... into something the parents aren't doing!!! Not all of the parents, but some. it really seems that some parents have no discipline or structure of manners at all and it shows when their kid has to be in a group environment.

does this become a conflict when now coaches are stepping over the coaching line into the parental line? IMO. -I'm not speaking about all parents-
but there certainly seems to be a mixture of parenting Styles now and this whole entitlement thing of young people who only pay attention when they want to or apply themselves when they want to is a parental role.

Parents job-teach children-
1- Be on time.
2- Be prepared when you
show up- equipment, cleats, hair up. Ect
3- Be respectful.
4- No excuses.
5-?
6-?
Ect.....?

IMO coaches shouldn't have to continually address a players bad behavior. after it becomes obvious and a conversation is had with both the player and the parents. Shouldn't it then be obvious to the parents to handle the situation so that it will improve?!!!
Hinky

by Pale Rider » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:59 am

While I do hold kids behaviors to a standard...That's part of everyday life not just in ball

BUT DO NOT think all Collegiate Coaches are wonderful human beings...A lot of them wouldn't make a pimple on a good travel ball coaches ass and not good people in general.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:41 am

Pale Rider wrote:While I do hold kids behaviors to a standard...That's part of everyday life not just in ball

Agree on both points!
Good to hold players to a standard. Really directing this toward kids growing up rec, tb, hs. Do you think there is a parental responsibility that should be applied when a coach is recognizing bad behavior and is trying to implement a standard on the team.?
Or let the player stay on your team with bad behavior or only alternative to drop the player?
IMO developing a good attitude is just as important as developing skill sets or hitting ect...
yep we have to deal with the bad behaviors of others unfortunately in everyday life.
IMO we can make the decision to hold that standard on our team and not have bad behavior on it.
Whats the parents role?
Hinky

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue May 01, 2018 6:07 am

The apple does not fall far from the tree ... If the athlete is late, lazy, inattentive, disobedient, no work ethic etc etc ... In many cases so is the parent and they are the educator as well as the enabler ... Yes, you must talk to the parent and then resign yourself to the fact that it is their child that they are raising ... Most kids at 13 are the same kid they were at 3, 4 or 5 ... The way the athlete acts at practice is the same way they act in school or at home ... My 2 cents.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Pale Rider » Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 am

Hinky wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:While I do hold kids behaviors to a standard...That's part of everyday life not just in ball

Agree on both points!
Good to hold players to a standard. Really directing this toward kids growing up rec, tb, hs. Do you think there is a parental responsibility that should be applied when a coach is recognizing bad behavior and is trying to implement a standard on the team.?
Or let the player stay on your team with bad behavior or only alternative to drop the player?
IMO developing a good attitude is just as important as developing skill sets or hitting ect...
yep we have to deal with the bad behaviors of others unfortunately in everyday life.
IMO we can make the decision to hold that standard on our team and not have bad behavior on it.
Whats the parents role?

Parents role in? IMHO Sports and life are the same thing...

I don't claim to be a great parent, I try though...my kids were taught, manners, that they had to work for what they got, life is NOT fair, to be respectful of adults and that actions had consequences...
No means NO!...not maybe or go ahead and try your luck..and probably most important, I am NOT their friend / pal / buddy do not confuse Dad or Mom as somebody who will let them get away with bad things...But they can discuss ANYTHING with me or my wife.

I will ALWAYS have their 6, am their biggest fan...But I will hold them to a standard of conduct, public or private. And always have constant continuity of actions, don't be inconsistent with what's expected. I've always told my kids teachers / coaches..."If you have a problem from my kid...One call to me or her Mom is all that's needed. It's understood by mine that wrath, if needed, will be coming.

So yes, kids are a direct reflection of their parents expectations (within reason) and rules in most cases.
I've met several members on this boards kids...all are good kids, but so are their parents...glad to call them extended family.
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Tue May 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
Hinky wrote:

Agree on both points!
Whats the parents role?

Parents role in? IMHO Sports and life are the same thing...

I don't claim to be a great parent, I try though...my kids were taught, manners, that they had to work for what they got, life is NOT fair, to be respectful of adults and that actions had consequences...
No means NO!...not maybe or go ahead and try your luck..and probably most important, I am NOT their friend / pal / buddy do not confuse Dad or Mom as somebody who will let them get away with bad things...But they can discuss ANYTHING with me or my wife.

I will ALWAYS have their 6, am their biggest fan...But I will hold them to a standard of conduct, public or private. And always have constant continuity of actions, don't be inconsistent with what's expected. I've always told my kids teachers / coaches..."If you have a problem from my kid...One call to me or her Mom is all that's needed. It's understood by mine that wrath, if needed, will be coming.

So yes, kids are a direct reflection of their parents expectations (within reason) and rules in most cases.
I've met several members on this boards kids...all are good kids, but so are their parents...glad to call them extended family.

I am NOT their friend / pal / buddy do not confuse Dad or Mom as somebody who will let them get away with bad things...But they can discuss ANYTHING with me or my wife.

Most of the problems with the youngsters could be solved with that statement taking in consideration that when you say "I do"...mean it so there will be a Dad and Mom in their life together but at the very least hold true to the statement above no matter what.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Pale Rider » Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 am

Battle wrote:Most of the problems with the youngsters could be solved with that statement taking in consideration that when you say "I do"...mean it so there will be a Dad and Mom in their life together but at the very least hold true to the statement above no matter what.

May 14th will be my ball and chains ;) 35th Anniversary...so I get what you mean.
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Wed May 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
Battle wrote:Most of the problems with the youngsters could be solved with that statement taking in consideration that when you say "I do"...mean it so there will be a Dad and Mom in their life together but at the very least hold true to the statement above no matter what.

May 14th will be my ball and chains ;) 35th Anniversary...so I get what you mean.

Awesome! Congratulations I think... :lol: ...JK
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

Return to Fastpitch Discussions