Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitchers parents might want to look into this!!

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:39 pm

OK, so here it is I am an older beat up guy, I pitch just about everyday in some form or another whether at lessons or BP which I throw 1-2 days a week. I also throw in a couple of men's fastpitch leagues minimum of 2 games a week sometimes more so to say I get overuse to my body is an understatement. Things hurt on me not debilitating hurt but when you throw as much as I do things tend to get aggravated. In my case my lower back , bicep and forearm my lower back I think because I'm old and weigh 250lbs and my forearm and bicep because I whip and snap my arm to generate spin so I know the why, but how to prevent aside from the obvious(stop pitching) was the question for me. I guy I play ball with is a PT he told me about KT tape (never heard of it) he tells me that its the flexi tape you see some athletes sporting. He told me about it after I was complaining between innings about the achiness in my forearm and told me to try it. Of course I didn't because it looks stupid and gimmickee and I figured why waste the money on snake oil right!?!?! Well...... I'm at my game getting ready to pitch the day after throwing BP (not a smart thing to do I know) my PT buddy/teammate is there and said hey have you tried the tape, I said no, he said lucky for you I have some wanna try it out? I figured what the hell its free sure why not so he tapes me up I feel like a duct-taped guinea pig and I start throwing, warming up. Nothing feels achy I start the game still good, go into the 5th still good.... At this point I'm becoming a believer the game ends, I'm fatigued but not achy. Next day all good no pain no nothing I'm a little tired that's about it.......Now I'm sure results vary from person to person but in my case it really helped and I will continue to use that tape to hold my body parts together so that I can keep doing what I enjoy. So if your kid has a nagging ache you might want to look into the stuff, that is my testimonial on KT tape good luck ya'll
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dusty » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:32 am

Since I'm the guy who bumped Sam's ancient pitching thread I suppose I should chime in. You write better than most men's FP guys I know curveballguy124 but some paragraph breaks would have helped.

When my dd gets soreness, which when it happens is in HS ball when there's more games per week due to rain makeups, it's in her legs not the arms, shoulder or back. We've heard of KT tape and know pitchers who use it but the legs aren't a very practical place to apply it during games and not as effective as rest, rolling, stretches, etc afterwards. My opinion on it is that if you need KT tape on the arms, shoulder, lower back, etc to provide pain relief then all your doing is covering up a problem and not really healing it. There will come a time when even the tape won't help.

That may be fine if your an older guy who wants to get as many men's FP games in as you can before you hang it up but not so much if your a young girl who wants to keep pitching through HS and maybe even college.
dusty

by Hinky » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:42 am

Hey Curve
So you can teach an
old dog new tricks!

kinesio tape does have benefits.
while I'm not a spokesperson for them, it does help support the body but has to be used correctly with your muscles.
Also helps create blood flow to muscles which helps reduce inflammation.
however using it does NOT instantly/magically make an injury go away!

it's encouraging to know we can tape ourselves together when we get older
Hinky

by curveballerguy124 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Sorry Dusty I tend to rant a bit sorry if that was a tough read.... I agree that Injuries should not be concealed that’s why I don’t wear braces wraps or anything like that I think that KT tape works by providing blood flow like Hink said. I’m sure there is a physical therapist that could chime in on how it works. To me it just seems like a piece of tape across my arm it gave me no support whatsoever but for some strange reason I had no achiness afterwords. I’m not saying it’s a cure-all and it’s definitely not something to conceal an injury. Just wanted to share my experience with KT tape if somebody was looking to use it.

And for the record Dusty I’m sure my back pain would go away if I lost about 30 lbs and my arm pain would go away if I decided to throw less than 500 pitches a week...The man that taught me how to pitch Papa Joe Salcido threw Very competitively for 40+ years before he hung it up so I figure I got at least another 20 years left in me....Can’t be outdone!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm

It's kinda like a back brace. Reminds you that there is a problem. Does little else. Placebo effect. Tape on skin cant do much. But placebo is powerful.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:15 pm

The man that taught me how to pitch Papa Joe Salcido threw Very competitively for 40+ years before he hung it up so I figure I got at least another 20 years left in me....Can’t be outdone!!![/quote]

So who will your students be telling their children who taught them how to pitch 20 years from now?
The Geezer Cesar?
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Probably man I kinda liked that!!!! I'm sure you faced Joe during your time he played with Raymar till they ended
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Faced him many times. Pretty much owned him!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 am

When my kid was just starting to put weight on her knee after ACL/double meniscus surgery last year, the trainer would go to town with the tape on her leg and it looked pretty cool, like a giant octopus tattoo. :)
My kid swears by it and said it provided a lot of support during her recovery..
Attachments
Utah sammy regionals May 2017.jpg
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dusty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:38 pm

That was mighty nice of you to loan your dd your cane Arto, I hope she gave it back after she healed up :lol:
dusty

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions