Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

update-14u coach wants....

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:45 am

14u coach wants all batters on his team to use the same hitting mechanics.
players that were on the team last season and players that were picked up over the past few months have now been told the coach wants them to all use the same mechanics of which he explains. I will leave those mechanics out of the discussion cuz it is not a discussion on what hitting mechanics to use rather do you think the entire team should use the same hitting mechanics?
even though there is a good portion of the lineup hits consistently. There are some struggling.
this means changing hitting mechanics that people have been using for longer than a year and even though many on the team have their own hitting instructor the coach is now saying they have to use the style of hitting he prefers.
what's your thought on changing everyone's hitting to one style? should everyone on a team have the same hitting
mechanics? Would you change your dd mechanics?
Last edited by Hinky on Thu May 03, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hinky

by Pale Rider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 am

Playing Devils Advocate
Why not?...most college coaches who snag a kid because of their hitting ability...start trying to CHANGE their swing day one...
With that said...does his change help? Is it free?
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hollow Grind » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 am

Does said coach offer and encourage private hitting lessons?
Hollow Grind

by Hinky » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:09 am

Hollow Grind wrote:Does said coach offer and encourage private hitting lessons?

many on the team already have private hitting lessons, interesting thing organization has multiple different coaches that teach hitting. Some teach different styles than one another. some are the same as what he teaches but he has not said you have to go to these organizational instructors.

From what I've heard, several
families are against changing their daughters mechanics just for this coach choice of mechanics.
for the sake of conversation,
I ask why would a coach want to change something that's working? does the coach feel so strongly the mechanics he believes in are going to be better than anything else?
Some families are questioning why change for a coach that maybe less than a year commitment to even coaching their daughter. and asking what's the chance of this guy coaching their daughter going forward and/or another coach wanting to change it again?!
Imo if it ain't broke don't fix it.

this is not a college situation.
Hinky

by Hollow Grind » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 am

The reason why I asked was we had a similar situation in the fall. Most of the team was struggling - my DD had the highest avg on the team, even though she wasn't getting a ton of at bats. Coaches made it mandatory that all players needed to hit with them, half hour group lessons at $40 a pop. DD's hitting sunk like a stone, so we bounced.
Hollow Grind

by Backnine » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 pm

There is not 17 different ways to hit the ball mechanically. Small linear move followed by strong rotational turn with steady eyes. Approaches can vary. Yes yes yes no is the best. Plenty of free stuff on line. Slowmo proof of what really happens during a good swing. Forget swing. TURN.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:47 am

Backnine wrote:There is not 17 different ways to hit the ball mechanically. Small linear move followed by strong rotational turn with steady eyes. Approaches can vary. Yes yes yes no is the best. Plenty of free stuff on line. Slowmo proof of what really happens during a good swing. Forget swing. TURN.

Oh no, it’s turning into a rotational vs linear argument. Watch out!!!!
jonriv

by Hinky » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 am

Backnine wrote:There is not 17 different ways to hit the ball mechanically. Small linear move followed by strong rotational turn with steady eyes. Approaches can vary. Yes yes yes no is the best. Plenty of free stuff on line. Slowmo proof of what really happens during a good swing. Forget swing. TURN.

the question is....
what would you do if the coach on your 14U team wanted all the players on the team to hit with the mechanics he believes in?
That means changing your daughter's mechanics.
What would you do?
Should everybody hit the same?

Say you believe in turning on the ball....and coach doesnt,
he wants them to lunge?
Or vice versa?
Hinky

by Backnine » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:35 am

Find another team. Really. If he wants your DD to change what you know to be proper mechanics you have little choice. The swing(TURN) is rotational. Period. There is different cues one can teach to get players to achieve a solid swing but in the end the torso turns onto the ball for power.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:42 am

Don’t mess with success. If the kid is a good/great hitter, why mess with her? Don’t get it.
And they do this in College too!
My oldest they left alone. They could SEE she was a good hitter. Ended up breaking Conference and school records with her bat. My youngest was tweeked, changed, and confused from the day she arrived on campus. Didn’t like the open stance, foot off the ground ect. Not their way of hitting. She hit .280 her first season their way. Next season they let her hit her way and the way they saw when they recruited her and she hit .415 and left.
Over coaching can be just as detrimental as no coaching at all!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions