Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What is a Good Bench Player?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:53 am

In one of the other posts, a poster suggested the idea of "learning to be a good bench player" It made me wonder, what does that mean.

It is a reality that many players when reaching the college level will begin their careers on the bench. For these players who were always among the best in their town, HS team, TB team etc.. are faced with the reality thats was everyone else on their new team. For many it is the first time ever they have been on the branch. In many cases that I have seen it is the parent that has the tougher time dealing with it.

Here are my thoughts based on observation and experience:

First- what kind of bench player are you?

1) The "new gal" whose position(s) is currently being played by a better(at this point) upperclassman

2) A player who has been beat out by a better "peer"

3) A "fill-in" player there because of your GPA

For number 1 and 2 there are several courses to take. You should never be "happy" about being a bench player, but you certainly should not be miserable and angry. You should be supportive of your teammates and work harder than them in practice. You need to be prepared to perform when you are called to play. You need to use this as a motivating factor. You should always act as if you are being watched, because you are.

Parents- you need to be supportive and for the most part keep your mouth shut. Don't pontificate in the stands on the poor coaching decisions. Don't keep telling your daughter she should be starting. Do encourage her to work harder. Be proud of her and let her know that you are there for them.

For player 3- I have seen this at Ivy league and other high academic schools whose coaches are rated on team GPA. Many of these players(who see very little field time) tend to be very happy just to be there and in many case play an important role to the entire team. I have seen players stay four years in this role

What do others think
jonriv

by Backnine » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 pm

DD was bench player. Second string catcher utility player and the coach's did a good job to make her believe she was vital to the whole team. Warmed up pitchers and got to play in lopsided games and pinch run. She felt important. I shout my mouth. Good job coaches!!??
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CatcherDad99 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 pm

My DD is a Freshman so I didn't really expect her to come in and take over for the 4th year senior. Who btw is a great kid and has been a good role model for my kid. To be honest I am just as happy with her attitude about this whole things. She warms up pitchers enthusiastically. She charts pitches and most importantly she cheers for her team mates especially for the one starting above her. Proud of her positive attitude and maturity. Its not easy going from being the best kid on a team to riding the bench. Its been positive for her and has really driven her to work hard.
CatcherDad99
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions