Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Teams offering kids Scholarships on Travel Teams

What's on your mind?

by newbie101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:10 am

I have a question?

I see many ads on here by coaches trying to recruit players to come to their travel team by offering free dues.
They call it a Scholarship.

A scholarship is an award of financial aid for a student to further their education. Scholarships are awarded based upon various criteria, which usually reflect the values and purposes of the donor or founder of the award.

Does that actually take away the child's amateur status? Now they are being paid to play.

Also if I am correct in that , then according to the NCAA they are no longer eligible to play Collegiality

Does anyone have any clarity on this?

Thank you
newbie101
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Under the Radar » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:26 am

From NCAA

Amateurism
Amateur competition is a bedrock principle of college athletics and the NCAA. Maintaining amateurism is crucial to preserving an academic environment in which acquiring a quality education is the first priority. In the collegiate model of sports, the young men and women competing on the field or court are students first, athletes second.

The NCAA membership has adopted amateurism rules to ensure the students’ priority remains on obtaining a quality educational experience and that all of student-athletes are competing equitably.

All incoming student-athletes must be certified as amateurs. With global recruiting becoming more common, determining the amateur status of prospective student-athletes can be challenging. All student-athletes, including international students, are required to adhere to NCAA amateurism requirements to remain eligible for intercollegiate competition.

In general, amateurism requirements do not allow:

Contracts with professional teams
Salary for participating in athletics
Prize money above actual and necessary expenses
Play with professionals
Tryouts, practice or competition with a professional team
Benefits from an agent or prospective agent
Agreement to be represented by an agent
Delayed initial full-time collegiate enrollment to participate in organized sports competition
Additional information regarding NCAA amateurism rules is available on the NCAA Eligibility Center’s website by clicking on the “Resources” link at the top of the page. Another resource is the Guide for the College Bound Student-Athlete.
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 am

to your point about the word scholarship. that word is generally used as 'scholar in academics' IMO for a travel team recruit is inappropriate use of that word.
as for 'free/no dues' to play for a tb team. that scenario has always occured somewhere. used to be people didn't want to speak of it cuz clearly it would be unfair to others who have to pay. while charity towards one-player maybe a nice thing, I think it would be nicer to spread that charity to everybody on the team. even if it were smaller increments that everybody would get. a price cut everybody could benefit from a financial break.

charity and/or favoritism
Hinky

by Chin Music » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:05 am

Spazsdad wrote:Boy that wasn’t written towards FB and MBB was it....

If the glove fits then yes.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Capone » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 pm

I think it would be a very big stretch to say free dues in travel ball would make a player ineligible for college regardless of what they called it.

Would athletes in high school that receive some form of financial aid or athletic scholarship in private high schools or middle schools then become ineligible too.
Capone

by jonriv » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:44 pm

The teams/programs that I have seen offer a no-dues option to a player were for the following reasons:

1) A pitcher they really need
2) A kid whose family had some kind of financial hardship

I have also heard of some teams that got enough sponsorship money to cover ALL player costs.

Since the dues are a "cost" and are not payment, it does not constitute a payment and therefore eligibility in maintained.

If that were not the case, we would all be in trouble. Most programs(little league) etc have sponsors that defer some of the cost, provide equipment etc..

Frankly if I had the means I would love to have the means to start softball academy with top coaches in the inner city
jonriv

Return to Fastpitch Discussions