Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

tb coach tells pitchers only throw strikes

What's on your mind?

by Tyler Durden » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:49 pm

jonriv wrote:Although I agree with idea of having pitchers getting batters to chase balls out of the strike zone and hiting the corners etc.., in my experience only the best Pitchers can do this with any consistency at 13. For many pitchers just throwing strikes can be an issue. Also, there are a population of pitcher's Dads(the ones who say their DDs have 6 pitches :D ) keep instructing their daughters to nibble around the plate and all they do is walk batter after batter.

G's post seemed to be right on

At 13 there this is what you usually see:

1) flamethrower "bully" pitchers who fire strikes but are too much for the majority of hitters. Tend to have problems with better hitters and teams, but blow away most others

2) Junk pitchers that throw at all different speeds that no one sees coming(including the catcher)

3) Good control pitchers that can hit their spots

4)The elite pitcher that has speed, location and can throw at least 2-3 very effective off speed pitches

Most pitchers are 1-3, most pitcher's Dads think their DD is 4

I also find it very dubious that a 13 year old said
13 year old pitcher replied "when ahead in the count shouldnt we make batters chase pitches, swing and miss is also a strike"
Sounds more like Dad speak-IMO :D

Great post JonBovi. Spot on. Enjoyed the (including the catcher) piece. And agreed, 13 y.o. punkin did not say that.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CatcherDad99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:25 pm

First semester of her freshman year of college my kid calls me. She's complaining. She tells me coach went off on her and wants her throwing the ball to the left of the base for her throw downs. (she's a catcher). At first I'm pissed thinking what idiot did I entrust my kid to. Still I tell her "She is your coach. This is the last coach you will ever have. Just do what she says. Trust in the program". Then when I hung up I ranted a little to myself when she couldn't hear me though.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I ask her after I watch a few games "I thought coach had you guys throw to the left side of 2nd base. I didn't see any of you throw to the left" She basically said she misunderstood what she was told. She's 18, a college athlete and still she is confused what she hears even though what she thought she heard is the opposite of everything she has been taught since she started playing.

Also I don't know the situation but even the best pitcher have games where they cannot find the strike zone. No matter what spot I call they can't hit it. So in those cases I would say something like "Just throw strikes" If your not able to hit your spots fairly consistently strikes are what I'd want all day long.
CatcherDad99
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:46 am

Hinky wrote:it was spoken to the pitchers in front of the entire team.as well all the parents that were standing around after the game..
Clarity to those that responded in doubt about what was said.
It was clear what the coach said...its what i heard as well.
all three pitchers have control.
no they're not walking batters all the time. the coach told the pitchers to only throw strikes.

the responses are interesting...
- trust the gut instinct of the coach
-the players themselves misspoke .
-have the coach pitch BP with no net ( great response)
-and a good analization of thought on the situation

No dd, not my team.

There is something Hinky in this Dinky Doo ... What are you doing close enough to hear what is said as a 14U coach is talking to his team and parents ?
When:
1.)You have no DD on the team ... Maybe a SDD (step DD) ?
2.)You are not an Umpire who accidentally didn't leave the field fast enough
3.)You are not a pitching coach
4.)You are presumably not an Asst Coach throwing his/her Head Coach under the bus
5.)You (again presumably) are not the grounds keeper working on his mower within earshot
6.)You're a DeMarini bat salesman ?

I'm sure there is a very good reason as to why you were in the landing zone ... But as a coach, my talks to parents and athletes are not broadcast over the PA system ... Just sayin'
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Hinky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I'm sure there is a very good reason as to why you were in the landing zone ... But as a coach, my talks to parents and athletes are not broadcast over the PA system ... Just sayin'

this travel ball softball story was simply brought to heybucket for discussion. We all know at times coaches are talking to teams within earshot of people passing by. It will happen again too!
Hinky

by jonriv » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 am

Hinky wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I'm sure there is a very good reason as to why you were in the landing zone ... But as a coach, my talks to parents and athletes are not broadcast over the PA system ... Just sayin'

this travel ball softball story was simply brought to heybucket for discussion. We all know at times coaches are talking to teams within earshot of people passing by. It will happen again too!

Especially when stalkers are around :?
jonriv

by Hinky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:22 am

Or sitting in a chair waiting for the next game to start....and game that's over Coaches start talking to the team right there with everybody else around.
Happens all the time!
Hinky

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions