Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

seeding

What's on your mind?

by stonehurler » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Jonriv, this is for you. You asked me to post something new and here it is. While participating in a tournament last week-end, rain on Saturday eliminated most of the games and 18 of 35 teams did not play. The tournament directer (whose team already has a PGF bid) said he was SEEDING teams for Sunday based on Saturdays results. Well it turns out his seeding and additional BLIND draw left his team with a very comfortable side of the bracket and four of the best teams on the other side of the bracket. Our team lost in the quarters to a very good team. We would rather play the best teams to be ready to qualify for our PGF berth. (battle tested) I feel he is doing a disservice to his team by not playing the best teams and hunting trophies. Our team would rather face the best and lose than get the easy pass. Any comments.

PS his team lost in semi's t only competition on his side of the bracket
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:02 am

stonehurler wrote:Jonriv, this is for you. You asked me to post something new and here it is. While participating in a tournament last week-end, rain on Saturday eliminated most of the games and 18 of 35 teams did not play. The tournament directer (whose team already has a PGF bid) said he was SEEDING teams for Sunday based on Saturdays results. Well it turns out his seeding and additional BLIND draw left his team with a very comfortable side of the bracket and four of the best teams on the other side of the bracket. Our team lost in the quarters to a very good team. We would rather play the best teams to be ready to qualify for our PGF berth. (battle tested) I feel he is doing a disservice to his team by not playing the best teams and hunting trophies. Our team would rather face the best and lose than get the easy pass. Any comments.

PS his team lost in semi's t only competition on his side of the bracket

Thanks for posting!

First thing-rain delays suck. It's something we here in the Northeast deal with all of the time! My daughter's final travel season she had to deal with some kind of rain delay at every weekend tournament but one.

Based on the tone of the posting you seemed to indicate you think the tournament host manipulated the seedings. I also sense some bitterness on your part. Let's take the idea that the host did manipulate the elimination seedings to their favor. I will respond to your premise "Our team would rather face the best and lose than get the easy pass." with a question- Is it better to play one great team and lose or play a lesser team(and win) and then lose to the better team(getting 2 games instead of one)? Which better prepares the team?
jonriv

by Hinky » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:23 am

[/quote] I will respond to your premise "Our team would rather face the best and lose than get the easy pass." with a question- Is it better to play one great team and lose or play a lesser team(and win) and then lose to the better team(getting 2 games instead of one)? Which better prepares the team?[/quote]

:)
Said Master Po to grasshopper
Hinky

by stonehurler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:06 am

We did half to win a game to get to quarters. In response to your question, I think early in the year you take all the games you can get. Once your team gets its timing down and gels, Little Suzies All-Stars don't pose a challenge.
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 am

We did half to win a game to get to quarters
A half win? :D
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 am

jonriv wrote:

No, he/she means they only had to do have as much as they would normally half to do and the prize money was paid in quarters ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:33 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:

No, he/she means they only had to do have as much as they would normally half to do and the prize money was paid in quarters ...

the
halves and half nots?
jonriv

by dusty » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:37 am

stonehurler wrote:The tournament directer (whose team already has a PGF bid) said he was SEEDING teams for Sunday based on Saturdays results. Well it turns out his seeding and additional BLIND draw left his team with a very comfortable side of the bracket and four of the best teams on the other side of the bracket.

Let me guess, the TD was affiliated with the org that hosted the PGF qualifier which is how they got the invite. You would think a team that already had a ticket punched to the most competitive tournament of the year would want to use their qualifier to prepare them for that level of competition but to a lot of these orgs they want local credibility over competition. I don't know if this happens everywhere but in my corner of the east coast I see a lot of suspicious looking "blind draw" brackets.
dusty

by stonehurler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 pm

You just need to look at the responses to this post as to why participation is dwindling on hey bucket.
You don't half to be a genius
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:52 am

stonehurler wrote:You just need to look at the responses to this post as to why participation is dwindling on hey bucket.
You don't half to be a genius

If the kidding G and I did on your obvious typo left you that butt hurt?

Perhaps you should really look at your post and it’s tone.

Host teams have been giving them selves favorable brackets, fields, times etc for decades. It’s one of the many reasons teams host tournaments (along with fundraising, automatic bids). Without full information on the team and it’s players it is kind of hard to make a judgement on what’s best for another team.

My advice, stop worrying and judging about what is best for another team and focus on your own. If you don’t like the way a tournament is run don’t go next year and perhaps have your organization hold their own
jonriv

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions