Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Can a Lefty be Successful Catcher?

What's on your mind?

by whatever » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:24 pm

DD asked to be back-up catcher (new position). Always played first but coach think she's wasted there as she's pretty athletic/fast. Besides the obvious throw to third with a batter in the box being difficult, what else? Outside opinion also mentioned she might have difficulty cuz she is tall and growing (5'6", 122lbs, 7th grade). Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
whatever

by Coachmom » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:27 pm

http://admin.usasoftball.com/bios.asp?uid=784

Check out Jenny Topping
Team USA Lefty Catcher
“One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than fifty preaching it.”
Coachmom

by whatever » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Thanks - she's unsure of herself so I'll show that to her!
whatever

by 3Bsnag » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:30 pm

I have a 5'5", 130 lb, 7th grade righty. Your DD would be perfectly fine catching. It's no different than mine throwing down to first with a lefty batter and it happens a lot. Sometimes teams do that just to try and block her. A good catching instructor will teach her the steps to get around the batter and different techniques for throw downs. Also, there's more runners on 1st than 3rd (hopefully!) which she will have the advantage!

Tell her to go for it!
3Bsnag

by Lefty's Dad » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:37 pm

My 14 yo DD has been catching since she started playing and has had no problems being a lefty at all. I was worried too at the start but quickly found the only drawback is locating a catchers mitt for her, not a whole lot of choices in the stores for her to try on.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by watcher » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:19 pm

Tell her to "go for it" There is a very good lefty catcher on a local HS team in my area. She has no problems at all with throws to any base.
watcher

by bigball » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:57 pm

I think it is an advantage to be a lefthanded catcher in softball with bunting being an important component of a team's offense. My daughter is a left-handed catcher and she loves it when the opponent bunts. She is also excellent at picking runners off 1st. The mechanics for throwing to first are so much easier for a left-handed catcher. She also has no problem throwing down to 2nd or to third. She attented a pitcher/ catcher camp last summer at a major D-1 school and the coach said he preferred a left-handed catcher and was interested in her even though she was a rising freshman.
bigball

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:41 pm

I personally would not prefer to work behind a back up lefty catcher.

ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Sparky Guy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:20 pm

One Name. Michelle Venturella Olympic team member. Now assistant at Iowa.
Sparky Guy

by backstop13 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:36 am

My 9 yo DD started catching last year mainly because no one else wanted to do it. She is left handed and loves it. I think the major thing with lefty catchers is the stigma of the "left handed catcher". Since you don't see too many of them people just don't relate to a lefty being a catcher. When she started playing there, I was looking up all kinds of stuff on the net about lefty catchers. The thing that made the most sense as to why there are not many is that more times than not, a strong armed lefty will be persuaded to become a pitcher. So in essence they are weeded out early and don't get the chance to try their hand (left hand :lol: ) at catching. So far she has had no problems throwing to any base...it is just a different look for the fielders.

She has a ways to go, but enjoys the position and never complains about the work that it takes. It is good to see from the responses there are more and more out there. Maybe we can form a LH Catchers Cult.

Her #1 problem right now is having the ball pop out of her mitt. We are working on that and she is improving. Any suggestions that could help?
backstop13

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions