Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Can a Lefty be Successful Catcher?

What's on your mind?

by whatever » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:20 am

Encouraged by the positive responses. What's the best gear/mitt?
whatever

by 3Bsnag » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:35 am

Don't know about best, but DD is head to toe Schutt Lite gear and Nokona glove and likes it all. Not sure if I would go with the same glove, it took a while to break in, but everyone knows what glove she has when they hear the ball pop. It usually pumps up your pitchers too.
3Bsnag

by Lefty's Dad » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:02 am

I agree with snag on the glove, DD just got a Nokona about a month ago. It's taking forever to break in mostly because DD refuses to use in games until it's more comfortable and she can close it. This after begging me for a new mitt because her 2 yr old Mizuno Blur (which she loved) is far too thin for the faster pitches she receives now at 14u. Gear? DD had Mizuno head to toe and liked that alot but I ruined it (please don't ask). She still wears the same mask and doesn't want to change that. She wanted the Easton Stealth chest pad and leg guards because of the "Cool-Max" lining thinking it would keep her from getting as hot. Well, that's a bunch of bull apparently. She still wears it though and it's good enough to make it through high School, I hope.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by backstop13 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:50 am

As for gear, my wife would not let me go buy her any. She was only 8, wasn't sure if she would stick with it...all good points. Until another girl wanted to try catching and put the helmet on and started adjusting straps. I finally had the green light to get her some. We settled on the Easton Natural from top to bottom. Since the organization we play with supplied gear and a catcher's mitt to each team, even though we bought her own gear, they did buy her a left handed mitt. It is a Lousville Slugger, but I am not sure what model. I didn't have anything to do with ordering it, so I am not 100% sure.

As for mitts, has anyone gotten their DD a Worth Liberty Custom? I think that would be cool to do when she gets older.

I will probably look at a Mizuno for her next mitt. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
backstop13

by greenandblue » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:34 pm

I can only tell you one drawback to having a lefty catcher.

Last year at a Disney tournament, the umpire in two of our games would not call ANY outside pitches strikes (rh batters) while my lefty DD was catching. After the game, he walk up to our coach (with no promting) and tells him (with no prompting) that he didn't call the outside pitches because my DD's glove was obstructing his view. ****Just when you think you've seen everything......

Other than this idiot excuse for an umpire, a lefty catcher is no different than a righty.

Well, other than the fact that finding a good mitt is close to impossible.
kmaca
greenandblue

by backstop13 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:58 pm

So is it safe to assume that YOUR LH batters were OK to let the outside pitch go by? Using his logic, I would imagine that would be the case...although I highly doubt it was. :?

FWIW, I looked at by DD's mitt and it is the Louisville Slugger TPS FPS204F 33" Catcher's Mitt.
backstop13

by catchingcoach » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:37 pm

I hear from colleges from all over the country. Many of the colleges coaches are looking for lefties. The fielding advantage for the throw to first is so significant for the lefty the coaches will deal with the throwing to 3rd issue. Proper footwork can diminish some of the difficulty of that throw.

Also since the higher percentage of pitchers are right handed it is much easier for a lefty to keep pitches away to the righty on the plate. Whether a fast ball away or a middle-out curve ball the lefty has it much easier to keep the strike on the plate with the glove on her right hand. Those pitches are moving into the glove, not to her back hand if she were a righty.
Coach Weaver
www.catchingcamp.com
Facebook: New England Catching Camp
Phil 4:13
catchingcoach

by Optic Yellow » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:50 am

There is nothing wrong with being a left handed catcher. Most coaches are right hand minded, it is hard for them to relate and show them the technique they need to learn.

Footwork is important to every catcher, even more so for a lefty. They have to clear batters a little fast to put them in a better position to throw or even make tags at the plate.

Coaches need to coach below the waist (footwork and hips sunk low in an athletic postion in every aspect of the position (throwing, tagging, fielding).

JMO
Optic Yellow

by LisaLu21 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:47 am

:lol: Yes a lefty can be successful... With regards to gear she must feel comfortable with what shes wearing... what is good for one might not fit for another. Yes work on her technique and footwork. Arm strength will come.
LisaLu21

by watcher » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:43 pm

DD has 2 Nokonas, They get switch up when one needs attention (repair) She would never think of using another brand. She is on her 4th set of Shutt gear. I just heard that they quit making the ultra-lite so I will be looking for new shingaurds & chest-protector, She would hang me if I tried to replace her Shutt lid W/ titainum mask, If your DD has a smaller hand, I would take a good look @ the Worth mitt.
watcher

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions