Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

tag the feet

What's on your mind?

by eclipse09 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:33 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
stonehurler wrote:While coaching a 10U team last year, our girl tried to score from third on a sac bunt. She got a bad jump and was going to be out with a good throw. The catcher took the throw and reached out forcefully to tag the runner. The runner was mandated to slide because of the rules. She got her helmet ripped off and was out. How can the catcher initiate contact high when the runner has to slide. Tag low!!

I don't recall sliding ever being mandated ... Was that a local rule ? If not, what rule set ? I do however recall people 'thinking' that mandatory sliding was a rule.

Only time I have seen that rule is at the rec level with individual leagues.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
stonehurler wrote:While coaching a 10U team last year, our girl tried to score from third on a sac bunt. She got a bad jump and was going to be out with a good throw. The catcher took the throw and reached out forcefully to tag the runner. The runner was mandated to slide because of the rules. She got her helmet ripped off and was out. How can the catcher initiate contact high when the runner has to slide. Tag low!!

I don't recall sliding ever being mandated ... Was that a local rule ? If not, what rule set ? I do however recall people 'thinking' that mandatory sliding was a rule.

while must slide is not in the ASA rulebook. There are leagues that have adopted that rule. all of the city leagues in our County have.
Come on GIM----- you know people hear rules explained differently and can differ depending on league or tourny
OR even umpires for that matter.
Simillar to the umpires calling obstruction rule with the NCAA guidelines in travel ball.
HOW & WHAT rules the umpires are calling & explaining is something the coaches/ players/families become aware of. It may not be the rule "as explained in the rule book" sometimes...
But how the umpire is explaining it becomes whats known as "the rule".
Hinky

by MTR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:19 am

Hinky wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
stonehurler wrote:
while must slide is not in the ASA rulebook. There are leagues that have adopted that rule. all of the city leagues in our County have.

One of the dumbest things a local league can do. Last time my local association encountered such a thing, the league was told straight up that the umpires would not be enforcing that rule.
MTR

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions