Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

tag the feet

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 am

this post is simply to remind us how we make the tag makes a big difference.

1st image-Throw is there from the catcher on the runner trying to steal. you can see plenty of time to tag the runner out.
11yr old catcher
pop time 2.12
2nd image- shows the runners feet slide in safe as the tag is late when put to the body.

tag the feet when the runner is sliding.
tag the hands when the runner is diving.

further discussion regarding the rule change in NCAA college about obstruction that is
'at some travel ball events'
being applied.
- NCAA rule change
regarding defensive obstruction
Aug. 18th 2017 " rule bans defender in softball from blocking plate or base before they have possession of the ball"

Great athletic performance by all 12u players in this game!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:52 am

I disagree, sort of ... The base runners objective is to get to the bag or plate, the fielders job is to keep them from reaching the bag safely ... I teach them to get the glove down ... That way if they miss the hand or foot they are not tagging air, the leg, arm or torso but rather whatever is closest to the bag.

Also, if the fielder is between the mound and the base they are are the wrong field entirely. :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 am

Good you agree with tagging down to the feet or hand,

while I could have been
more descriptive
With verbage....yes tag down to the ground to the first thing that's coming to the base.
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 am

Turbo ... What rule change in what rule set are you referring to ?

To just "stand in the middle infield" was not what I was talking about ... If your fielder is standing between the MOUND and the base, they are on the wrong field, playing the wrong game.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:51 am

Especially if you have a coach that teaches cleats up....Just saying
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:53 am

:lol: funny! Softball Oddity
Reffered to frequently as the mound....
elevated by 1/2 an inch
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:03 am

This rule was implemented some years ago. But back when I was playing there was no obstruction rule. This is a newer rule referring to in this discussion.

The non obstruction rule[quote="GIMNEPIWO"]Turbo ... What rule change in what rule set are you referring to ?

perhaps we need to take that to the Umpire question forum
For the exact rule #.
the rule that changed about Fielder's not being allowed to stand in base path without the ball to make a play.

NCAA website Aug 18th 2017- "rule bans defender in softball from blocking plate or base before they have possession of the ball."
Will post info on ASA website...
Seeing it called in college games ,at all levels of travel ball and in high school games.
several times in the past few months umpires are making it clear even at first base with backpicks, the first baseman or second baseman cannot get in between the bag & runner. their glove with the ball in it can but they cannot stand there waiting for the ball with their body blocking out the runner to the base.
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Turbo ... To the best of my knowledge there was no rule change in recent years regarding OBS (obstruction) ... I do not have my rule book in front of me, but the rule is about impeding the progress of the base runner ... If having your body, foot, glove or whatever in the base path of the runner without possession of the ball does not impede their progress, there can be no OBS.
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 pm

here is the verbiage from
Amateur Softball Association website
Sept 11th 2017
"the Amateur Softball Association of America sets the universal rules for softball in the United States. according to their official rulebook abstruction is when a defensive player effects or prevents a batter from swinging at a pitched ball or hinders the progress of a runner. For example a catcher can be called for obstruction if the catcher's glove makes contact with the hitters bat. or when a defensive player doesn't have the ball and blocks a base or base path. if the defensive player has the ball she is allowed to block the base or base path to apply the tag for an out."
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:In this image shortstop should be in front of second base
(stand to inside corner) between the pitcher's mound and the
bag.(not in the middle of the infield, rather just to the inside of the bag, at the bag) it will also be a shorter throw allowing more time to place the tag.

Great athletic performance by all 12u players in this game!

Not sure if there is a consensus WRT straddling the bag vs. setting up in front. Below is a video of plays being made at the MLB level - both techniques are employed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mie_v1Msg0U

I do disagree with your comment about a shorter throw/longer time for tag. You can't change the distance to the bag that base runner is sliding in to. The fastest way for the ball to get there is on the throw, not on the tag, However the infielder sets up, they should let the ball get deep and drop a tag, not reach for the ball and bring it back.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions