Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Playing in Cold Weather

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 am

I know this might be a difficult concept for those in California, but your daughters might experience it in the Big Ten or in the Northeast when they play in college. Here in New England many times Spring is merely a suggestion. This year we had 8” of snow on the first day of spring. It is very common to have games postponed due to weather, but it is very common to play in sub freezing temps

My daughter played a game vs Tufts in 2013 on a windy day the temp dropped below 20.

During her senior year I attended a doubleheader at Eastern Connecticut State where the temp dropped from 34 to 26 degrees. This was April 28th!!!! Much worse for the spectators than the players

What was the coldest your daughter played in?
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:13 am

In the mountains of SW Virginia the weather can change pretty quickly ... I think it was DD's Sophomore or JR year ... Double header on a Saturday or Sunday ... Over the course of the two games I went from a pair of shorts and a tank top to long pants and a hoody, plus every item of clothes I could find behind the seat of my truck and a blanket ... (conveniently there was also a mason jar with peach preserves -lol) ... Then before it was all over back to shorts and a tank top ... There was a thunder, rain and some sleet ... Which turned into snow and wild gusts of wind and a temperature drop of 20-30 degrees (it seemed, not sure) ... Before it was over the wind stopped and the sun came back out and got warm ... The craziest thing were the wind gusts ... The only time in all my years around the ball field I saw the pitcher get blown off the rubber and out of the circle ( Ump ruled no pitch ) ... On another gust the dust and dust devil kicked up so bad as a spectator you could hardly see the athletes ... It was mid pitch and the PU bailed out, again = no pitch ... I don't recall if the games were ever delayed, but they may have been.

I recall one time during her 4 years they had a weekend tourny format with several east coast teams in attendance ... I seem to remember it being in early April ... The visiting team from Vermont had not been in the grass at their home field yet that year.

The are several ties for the coldest temperature at which I coached a team, mid 20's I guess ... Many times in the snow .... It's not bad unless the wind is blowing ... Because, well, wind blows. We always buy hot hands (warmers) by the case.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:36 am

I have experienced playing in those conditions GIMNEPIWO
described. we had wind gusts so strong rocks the size of quarters were flying horizontally at us on the field. at one point many of the fans ran and grouped together using the snack bar and restrooms building as cover. We were still on the field playing. Until the Umpire recognized the fans taking cover , finally stopped the game. we had a game break for about 15 minutes and went back to playing.

another story while playing womans's open in Vegas. it was so hot and we were on the field so long our feet were burning. Our shortstop later
in the day when she took
her socks off a couple of her toe nails peeled off!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 am

Hey turbo, this is a cold weather post- start your own hot weather one!!! :D
jonriv

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 am

;) ok caught me sneaking that in

here's a northern California cold weather story...which have to laugh just saying that.
late evening games temperature dropped so quickly that
Tule fog developed. within about two innings we couldn't see the outfielders. games had to be called and commenced in the early a.m.
so are you laughing now? that's the Northern California cold weather story "thick fog".
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:08 pm

December 2016, Palmdale CA, temps in the 30s all weekend, with a nice breeze. Didn't see a wind chill factor but it had to be low 20s. My younger DD actually likes to play in cold weather, which is good since she wants to play in northeast.

And I have no data to back it up, but ask anyone who went through rec ball in Corona at Butterfield Park - it has its own weather patterns - hotter than anywhere around when its warm, and colder than anywhere around in the winter. We have had opening ceremonies in the 90s and in the 40s in February in back to back years.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:06 am

Hey, If Turbo gets hot weather and fog, then I get to tell about the game delayed because of moths ... Night game, adult slow pitch league in Central NJ ... The field is in a low land area adjacent to a creek so a light fog was often ... But its a warm summer night and there was a hatch of sod web worm moths that filled the air like a blizzard ... They were everywhere and from the outfield you could hardly see the infielders ... After discussion, the Blues shut off the lights, waited a short time and turned them back on ... moths gone, play ball!
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to Fastpitch Discussions