Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Best Roster Size for TB team?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:51 am

What does everyone think is the best size for a TB roster?

Back in the day my daughters team was 12(which is on the low side). Coach required everyone to sit at least one a tourney and play 2-3 different positions. Since team comprised of top players from local HS he declared everyone was an all star. System worked great
jonriv

by Ivanhoe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Generally, minimum 12, then age group = average roster size.
3 pitchers, but I would like to see them to be able to play other positions. Some players that are specifically 1 position players.
A couple of players to fight for the starting spot.
Ivanhoe

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:45 pm

15 with 3 pitchers and 2 catchers.....18U at least 20 because of Prom, winter formal, homecoming, senior day, senior this,senior that, senior I wont be there because ________obligation!!! Good luck!! Hope this helps
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Our teams will consist of 11 players, each player will have a rotation schedule set up for Saturday play. Each player will play minimum of 2 innings (in the field, batting in each of the games) always playing to win. On Sundays, we play to win the tournament, but we work everyone into the games.

This is what my daughter's former TB coach posted on website of TB program he started. They have had some success under this format. He has also led the HS team he coaches to several Conference and State Softball titles
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 am

Spazsdad wrote:In the older ages 20 easy, especially in the fall with trips and testing etc. , even with that some weekends we get pretty thin

I agree on the 'older ages' ... Especially 23U ... There will still be 5 or 6 that make every tourny ... You need 10-15 more that you can call, but just bring 12-13 with you if your 3 pitchers and 2 catchers play other positions as well.

Younger ages; 12's and 14's when the parents are still driving the athletes and still believe their kid is getting a full ride, 12 is good ... Easier to keep everyone happy.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to Fastpitch Discussions