Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Calling pitches yah or nah

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Somebody asked me about calling pitches and my thoughts on if the coach should call or the catcher? My thoughts are this, the catcher has the best view in the house she see's everything from where the batter is set up in the box to how they are swinging hand position and grip etc etc. The pitcher of course has the power to veto because ultimately she has to throw the pitch and she knows what the ball feels like that day are the seams too high or too low does the ball feel heavy is the mound tore up is it soft or too hard and what pitches are working that day, all the variables that matter to a pitcher. That is why it is very important for the pitcher and catcher to practice together often and on different surfaces so that the catcher knows the pitchers adjustments.

In my case I like to call the pitches at least one time through the order not because I know everything but mostly because pitch calling is about setting batters up and these young catchers are still very new to that. I've come to recognize various swings because I pitch so often in my games and to various kids weekly and have come to recognize certain tendencies from certain swings. However, I like my catchers to pay attention to how I set batters up and why and to always be at least 2 pitches ahead, don't just throw a pitch because its seems like a good idea. Be mindful of the batters height, body tilt, hand position, grip, swing path, don't fall victim to the 2 strike phobia. The goal is to teach these young catchers the art of setting up batters and let them have at it because like I said they have the best seat in the house....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 pm

It always depends on the catcher and skill- and the coach's level of trust.

Back when my daughter was a catcher, there were some coaches that let her call her own. She tended to be less analytical than the coaches and tended to call pitches based more on feel and what the pitcher could throw well. Also since my DD is a bit of a wacko(unconventional in PC talk) her pitch calls were unpredictable and kept batters off-balance.

I think far too often coaches think they are all-knowing and don't put this kind of trust in their catchers. I think this is a mistake. I agree that the catcher does have the best view and as important a better of idea of the "feel" of the hitter and pitcher. Also, far too often I find coach's signal calling to be far too robotic and predictable(ie the 0-2 change-up)

A good coach/leader empowers their players. Teach them how to call, teach them what your philosophies and strategies are. Talk to them between innings-but let them do it!
jonriv

by Capone » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:58 pm

I think it partially depends on the catcher's ability and experience. I think coaches should work with the catcher to be able to call games though as it is important for their growth and development. currently our coach mainly calls the pitches and I understand that.
Capone

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:15 am

I do not like to call pitches, I prefer my battery coach to do that ... I will let the battery practice it during practice and during one sided games until they have earned my trust ... Once they have earned my trust, I will let them do it.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:22 am

I call them as an assistant varsity coach. I called them on some travel teams I have managed and had another coach call them for some period of time. I would have my catchers call games that were out of hand or some friendlies. When I coached 23U, the catchers called the games.

I prefer me or a coach calling them at the level I coach because we set the defense according to the way we are pitching the batters.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:25 pm

@SAM

I get what your saying especially when it comes to HS ball and lower level TB but don't you think the catcher at the travel level that is looking to move on should begin to understand why and when to call pitches and on certain defenses? I as a pitcher rely heavily on my catcher and I have come to truly appreciate his ability to set batters up and make me look good. What I try and teach my girls is what I have learned from my own experience and my catcher. I get them to practice their pitch calling skills as often as possible because I truly believe the hardest position on the field is a catcher. Lets face it a good catcher makes a pitcher and a defenses job considerably easier if he or she knows what they are doing..... But if we take that part of the job out of their hands how are they going to get better??
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Pitchers, Catchers, Coaches &
"All softball players" should understsnd what, why & how to call pitches. Communicating
how effective the pitchers are before the game and during the game is super important!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Let’s be real! 99.9% of College coaches call the game. Jobs are on the line. Ya Turbo it’s beneficial that all the players know what pitch and location is anticipated and that’s why the arm dictionaries are so popular. When the games a blow out during travelball game sure let your catcher call an inning or two, have a little fun and see if we are all on the same page. High school wise my girls played at a very competitive school with coaches that had a clue so catchers never called games. Could they of? Sure! My girls played with a catcher in HS that was a 4 year starting catcher at Michigan.Experienced coaches in HS are not always the case so many of the girls have more experience than the coaches, we’ll good luck there.
Strategy/ plan is the job of the ring leaders.
Catchers and pitchers run the show.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CatcherDad99 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:35 pm

When I was not coaching my daughters TB teams her coaches usually had her call pitches. She had a good head for it and took it very serious. I think she was great at it but I normally called pitches when she played for me. Not a control thing but we played our defense around the pitch calling. However I never forced a pitch that the battery didn't feel comfortable with. Seen too many guys forcing kids to throw stuff that's not really working that day and then getting mad when they get hit out of the park. Like Turbo said communication is important. Also trust between the 3 of you. When my DD was recruited to her college the coach said she had meetings with the catchers before the weeks series of games to watch film and discuss strategy. Her catchers called the games. I was excited to see this but she was let go in the summer and the new battery coach now calls the games. I get it. Like I said i called it too.
CatcherDad99
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:35 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:@SAM

I get what your saying especially when it comes to HS ball and lower level TB but don't you think the catcher at the travel level that is looking to move on should begin to understand why and when to call pitches and on certain defenses? I as a pitcher rely heavily on my catcher and I have come to truly appreciate his ability to set batters up and make me look good. What I try and teach my girls is what I have learned from my own experience and my catcher. I get them to practice their pitch calling skills as often as possible because I truly believe the hardest position on the field is a catcher. Lets face it a good catcher makes a pitcher and a defenses job considerably easier if he or she knows what they are doing..... But if we take that part of the job out of their hands how are they going to get better??

I get what you're saying. I let them call games in lots of friendlies. I wanted more control in games that meant something. I also continually lambasted my assistant coach for the pitches he called when he was calling the pitches. (Sorry Ken)

It is vitally important for them to know the game, but as CM said, all of that knowledge would get wasted in college anyway since the coaches call all the pitches.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions