Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Calling pitches yah or nah

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 am

Sam wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:@SAM

I get what your saying especially when it comes to HS ball and lower level TB but don't you think the catcher at the travel level that is looking to move on should begin to understand why and when to call pitches and on certain defenses? I as a pitcher rely heavily on my catcher and I have come to truly appreciate his ability to set batters up and make me look good. What I try and teach my girls is what I have learned from my own experience and my catcher. I get them to practice their pitch calling skills as often as possible because I truly believe the hardest position on the field is a catcher. Lets face it a good catcher makes a pitcher and a defenses job considerably easier if he or she knows what they are doing..... But if we take that part of the job out of their hands how are they going to get better??

I get what you're saying. I let them call games in lots of friendlies. I wanted more control in games that meant something. I also continually lambasted my assistant coach for the pitches he called when he was calling the pitches. (Sorry Ken)

It is vitally important for them to know the game, but as CM said, all of that knowledge would get wasted in college anyway since the coaches call all the pitches.

Knowledge would get wasted?
No dont think so! most every College pitching coach & defensive coaches interact with their pitchers and catchers to develop strategy and mindset. they look for the intelligent players to be part of their squad. remember not all travel ball coaches are as 'really smart' as the old crew on heyB, there are plenty of travel ball catchers that know the game better than the coach in the Dugout
and that knowledge is valuable even before they get to college.
Hinky

by Chin Music » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:50 am

“Not utilized “ sound better?
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:24 am

Hinky wrote:
Sam wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:@SAM

I get what your saying especially when it comes to HS ball and lower level TB but don't you think the catcher at the travel level that is looking to move on should begin to understand why and when to call pitches and on certain defenses? I as a pitcher rely heavily on my catcher and I have come to truly appreciate his ability to set batters up and make me look good. What I try and teach my girls is what I have learned from my own experience and my catcher. I get them to practice their pitch calling skills as often as possible because I truly believe the hardest position on the field is a catcher. Lets face it a good catcher makes a pitcher and a defenses job considerably easier if he or she knows what they are doing..... But if we take that part of the job out of their hands how are they going to get better??

I get what you're saying. I let them call games in lots of friendlies. I wanted more control in games that meant something. I also continually lambasted my assistant coach for the pitches he called when he was calling the pitches. (Sorry Ken)

It is vitally important for them to know the game, but as CM said, all of that knowledge would get wasted in college anyway since the coaches call all the pitches.

Knowledge would get wasted?
No dont think so! most every College pitching coach & defensive coaches interact with their pitchers and catchers to develop strategy and mindset. they look for the intelligent players to be part of their squad. remember not all travel ball coaches are as 'really smart' as the old crew on heyB, there are plenty of travel ball catchers that know the game better than the coach in the Dugout
and that knowledge is valuable even before they get to college.

Its wasted. Their knowledge would only serve to frustrate the kid when they realize that they know more about the game than the coach. They would question the pitch-calling and be tempted to put down the number of fingers they wanted to instead of the coach's wishes. These college coaches aren't asking for their opinions.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:19 am

As I said previously I prefer my Battery Coach (NFHS) to call the pitches ... A couple years ago, I know the batter coming up so as I am pacing the dugout I get in my coaches ear and say "what ever you do, don't throw this gal a fast ball" ... She looks at the first pitch, fouls off the second and third, pitch 4 is still circling the planet ... I ask "what was that?" he says "fastball" ... After reminding him what I said his reply was, "they were all fastballs" ... I guess my instructions needed to be clearer ... :lol:
I spoke to his current head coach the other day ... It seems he'll need another one of those next year too.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions