Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Dwindling HB Discussion Participation

What's on your mind?

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:50 am

artomatic wrote:
stonehurler wrote:Seems like when Sam, Spazsdad, Skarp, Jonriv, JTAT32, Blindsquirrel GIMNEPIRO, and the rest were young this site flourished because there were no old curmudgeons to drag the site down. Instead of coming back thinking you are helping, go away and let the new take over. Im just saying cause it is too late for this site anyway

Seriously?
Damn, where's Skarp when you need him?

We need that searchlight scanning the night skies with a big S ... Arto, you and many others left out of Stonehurlers bouquet ... What an honor ... So, don't come back here thinking you are helping ... LOL
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Skarp » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:46 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:
Battle wrote:The decline started when Skarp left for a while. I'm sorry but it's true. I BLAME SKARP...DAMN IT!

YES-that's what we need- a SCAPEGOAT!!!!!!!!!!!

SKARP did this!!!!!!!

He also raised interest rates today!!!!!!!

Everything wrong is SKARP'S fault!!!!!!!!! :D

That would be a SKARPGOAT ...

WTF??!! You couldn't find anyone else to carry the load so you guys went and SKARPGOATED me?? Hardly seems right...

I haven't exactly been following, but if HB has in any way mirrored society at large I would posit another possible explanation for any deterioration in discussion quality here: millennial parents. Of course I could be wrong about that, and I certainly wouldn't want to impugn anyone's character or abilities in any way whatsoever! Now could someone please hand me a binky and direct me to the safe space on this site?
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:22 am

Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:
Battle wrote:The decline started when Skarp left for a while. I'm sorry but it's true. I BLAME SKARP...DAMN IT!

SKARP did this!!!!!!!

WTF??!! You couldn't find anyone else to carry the load so you guys went and SKARPGOATED me?? Hardly seems right...

I haven't exactly been following, but if HB has in any way mirrored society at large I would posit another possible explanation for any deterioration in discussion quality here: millennial parents. Of course I could be wrong about that, and I certainly wouldn't want to impugn anyone's character or abilities in any way whatsoever! Now could someone please hand me a binky and direct me to the safe space on this site?

Skarpe' Diem ! ... Impugn at will ... NO BINKY FOR YOU !
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:07 am

Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:

SKARP did this!!!!!!!

Sharp good to see you back!! Just a clarification, are you talking about parents of millenials or millenials that are parents?
jonriv

by Skarp » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:42 am

jonriv wrote:
Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:

SKARP did this!!!!!!!

Sharp good to see you back!! Just a clarification, are you talking about parents of millenials or millenials that are parents?

Oh hell, I don't know. I guess I'm thinking about the quality of discourse in society at large. Nobody is allowed to say anything offensive anymore--and perhaps it's just me, but offensive comments are inherently more interesting. HB was interesting back in the day because we had a critical mass of smart but obnoxious types who weren't afraid to speak their minds and defend their positions on all sorts of touchy subjects--including subjects related to their own children.

I suspect that I was probably known best for the arguments I had on here, and honestly the best of them, at least in my opinion, were with people I respected the most. How many times did Sam and I go at it, for instance? We didn't pull any punches. We didn't worry about each others' feelings. But we were able to have substantive conversations that fleshed out issues in a serious and unvarnished way. I don't think we as a society are capable of having those types of discussions anymore. And yes, I lay that at the feet of millennials and their parents (and their teachers, etc.). And now that millennials are having kids of their own--God help us!

I have zero respect for people who go through life butt-hurt over things that others say. It's so f'ing weak and pathetic. Worse, it has a chilling effect on the willingness of others to engage in interesting/important discussions. And it wouldn't surprise me if that dynamic is at least partially in play where this topic (dwindling participation) is concerned on HB. But I haven't been here, so you tell me.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:

SKARP did this!!!!!!!

Skarpe' Diem ! ... Impugn at will ... NO BINKY FOR YOU !

Yeah, I knew I couldn't expect any quarter from you. But then I wouldn't have it any other way! All is well, I trust?
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:25 am

Skarp wrote:
jonriv wrote:
Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:

SKARP did this!!!!!!!

Oh hell, I don't know. I guess I'm thinking about the quality of discourse in society at large. Nobody is allowed to say anything offensive anymore--and perhaps it's just me, but offensive comments are inherently more interesting. HB was interesting back in the day because we had a critical mass of smart but obnoxious types who weren't afraid to speak their minds and defend their positions on all sorts of touchy subjects--including subjects related to their own children.

I suspect that I was probably known best for the arguments I had on here, and honestly the best of them, at least in my opinion, were with people I respected the most. How many times did Sam and I go at it, for instance? We didn't pull any punches. We didn't worry about each others' feelings. But we were able to have substantive conversations that fleshed out issues in a serious and unvarnished way. I don't think we as a society are capable of having those types of discussions anymore. And yes, I lay that at the feet of millennials and their parents (and their teachers, etc.). And now that millennials are having kids of their own--God help us!

I have zero respect for people who go through life butt-hurt over things that others say. It's so f'ing weak and pathetic. Worse, it has a chilling effect on the willingness of others to engage in interesting/important discussions. And it wouldn't surprise me if that dynamic is at least partially in play where this topic (dwindling participation) is concerned on HB. But I haven't been here, so you tell me.

Well said, for the most part agree!

There is a difference however in being able to have an intellectual conversation about something, add a few funny comments or a few Jabs.
Vs. only replying by attacking a person.

Reading back on post now and then, can see there is a difference in responses.
Got to a point where when somebody wanted to discount another person's opinion by calling them an asshole,
and berating them further.
( thats pretty weak)
IMO it broke down the continuity of what discussion forum really should be.

Discussions seem to be on the rebound.
Hinky

by artomatic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Ah yes, just like old times...

https://youtu.be/QY2D6KLhDeg
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Hinky wrote:Well said, for the most part agree!

There is a difference however in being able to have an intellectual conversation about something, add a few funny comments or a few Jabs.

Got to a point where when somebody wanted to discount another person's opinion by calling them an asshole,
( thats pretty weak)

"That's pretty weak." Actually, it's all-the-way weak. But it's also a fact of life. I think a decent percentage of people are actually unable to differentiate between attacks on their positions and attacks on their persons--so they respond to both with personal attacks of their own,..or they take their ball and go home. The issue I was referring to with "millennials" is that the percentage of people who can't handle criticism or disagreement is going up dramatically. And it wouldn't surprise me if that is at least one cause of dwindling discussions on forums like HB.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Skarp wrote:
Hinky wrote:Well said, for the most part agree!

( thats pretty weak)

"That's pretty weak." Actually, it's all-the-way weak. But it's also a fact of life. I think a decent percentage of people are actually unable to differentiate between attacks on their positions and attacks on their persons--so they respond to both with personal attacks of their own,..or they take their ball and go home. The issue I was referring to with "millennials" is that the percentage of people who can't handle criticism or disagreement is going up dramatically. And it wouldn't surprise me if that is at least one cause of dwindling discussions on forums like HB.

I guess I just wrote the exact same thing over again. I'm getting old.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions