Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitching machines for batting practice

What's on your mind?

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:54 am

Hinky wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Hinky wrote:Like to use them for defense High Reps on Fielding drills. Great for fly ball and grounder consistency. Jugs machine has swivel Factor can get twice as many reps in. One coach can get a lot done.
For Bp....rather use dual wheel machines to work spins with pitch locations. Live pitching
Best thing for developing timing.
Mechanics fine tuned at hitting stations. Reps Reps Reps

The problem I've always had with the Jugs machine for fielding drills is the way the ball spins ... It works well for fly ball drills but ground ball drills not so much ... I got the Atec R2 fielding machine last year which delivers a ground ball suitable for infield and outfield as well as fly balls ... It is designed for this and pivots and angles easier then the jugs as well.

Agree about spin.
Good to know about Atec R2.
Assuming it also swivels?

I said pivot but meant swivel ... Yes ... The way it shoots the ball out is between two angled discs rather than a wheel, so no or little spin ... The ball acts more like a batted ball.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Hinky » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 am

Looked it up. Like dual wheel.
Softball Atec M2 machine says
Throws 90mph! Nice!
Plus throws different pitches.
Hinky

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:11 am

Hinky wrote:Looked it up. Like dual wheel.
Throws 90mph! Nice!

The M2 is the pitching machine ... I have used those but what I was referring to is the R2 'fielding' machine ... Different animals and the ball is delivered differently.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Hinky » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Throws 90mph! Nice!

The M2 is the pitching machine ... I have used those but what I was referring to is the R2 'fielding' machine ... Different animals and the ball is delivered differently.

Yes two different machines. Useful options at practice.
From whats on Atec website
R2 is for fielding only. not to be used for pitching bp.
Last edited by Hinky on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hinky

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am

Hinky wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Throws 90mph! Nice!

Yes two different machines.
From whats on Atec website
R2 is for defense only. not to be used for pitching bp.

Yep yep .... Never tried to use it for pitching, defense only. Good machine, uses regular balls a doesn't tear them up.
GIMNEPIWO

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Or there is always option B......Hire curveballerguy to throw live BP!!! Just throwing that our there guys thats my shameless plug :D
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Just curious. Why would u use a machine for defense? Just grab a bat.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:33 pm

For outfield drills Chin!!! You can run the crap out of the girls with various outfield drills..... Not sure why you would use for infield though
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Believe me. I can hit a pop up!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Chin Music wrote:Just curious. Why would u use a machine for defense? Just grab a bat.

Faster more accurate repetition for working on specific skills ... Charging fly balls, balls against the fence, balls dead in the gap, hard ground balls right at their feet, backhand or fore hand etc etc ... They get more reps ... You are correct in that there is no substitute for the ball coming off the bat (which I do often as well) ... The machine just allows me to work multiple players creating almost the same exact scenario for each very quickly before moving on to another skill ... I have found that with HS age gals (in a group) you have between 10 - 20 minutes max on any one drill before you lose them.
GIMNEPIWO

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions