Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitching machines for batting practice

What's on your mind?

by Dark Angel Coach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:17 am

Thoughts on using a pitching machine for HS softball hitting practice?

I like to use Pitchers pitching to batters, front toss from close range with Coaches, and a pitching machine to get the speed 55-65 mph.
Dark Angel Coach

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 am

Dark Angel Coach wrote:Thoughts on using a pitching machine for HS softball hitting practice?

I like to use Pitchers pitching to batters, front toss from close range with Coaches, and a pitching machine to get the speed 55-65 mph.

Pretty much agree ...
IF your pitchers can throw accurately enough to make it effective. Also if they are a good representation of what you will be facing. Many times with live pitching and fielders on the field to speed things up and keep everyone awake I will have batters come up with a 1-1 count or even do it as a 2 strike drill.
The drawbacks to machine pitch are well documented ... I do like to use it at the lower speeds to reinforce proper mechanics ... The higher speeds only to get ready for a flame thrower, while still focusing on proper mechanics.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Battle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Sam posted an exercise a while back using cones to change the distance rather than changing speed. I liked it and wish he would dazzle again for you. :P
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by McGee » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 pm

A great drill for hitting off speed pitches is to set uo two pitching machines setting one for a fastball and the second a change-up. The coach puts the ball into one of the machines and the batter must adjust because they are nit sure what is coming.

I see improvement with this but it does require two machine.
McGee

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 am

Battle wrote:Sam posted an exercise a while back using cones to change the distance rather than changing speed. I liked it and wish he would dazzle again for you. :P

I'd be interested to see that ... I do like short toss and use it often ... But one argument is although you can change distance to alter perceived timing once the ball arrives it is still traveling at whatever speed it is traveling ... I am and always have been for a large variety of effective drills to stave off boredom with a focus on proper mechanics.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Hinky » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:41 am

Like to use them for defense High Reps on Fielding drills. Great for fly ball and grounder consistency. Jugs machine has swivel Factor can get twice as many reps in. One coach can get a lot done.
For Bp....rather use dual wheel machines to work spins with pitch locations. Live pitching
Best thing for developing timing.
Mechanics fine tuned at hitting stations. Reps Reps Reps
Hinky

by Sam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 am

We would run the drill as a contest between groups of hitters. Hitter in the batters box, 4 cones in front of them....at 3 foot intervals lined up between the plate and the pitching machine. The hitter makes contact and moves up one cone until they miss. You miss, you're out. The team gets one point per cone. The losing team(s) pack up the equipment.

You can use any number of cones and adjust to the level of your batters.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 am

Sam wrote:We would run the drill as a contest between groups of hitters. Hitter in the batters box, 4 cones in front of them....at 3 foot intervals lined up between the plate and the pitching machine. The hitter makes contact and moves up one cone until they miss. You miss, you're out. The team gets one point per cone. The losing team(s) pack up the equipment.

You can use any number of cones and adjust to the level of your batters.

Love that ... I always look for a competition game / drill ... Gonna give that one a go.
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 am

Hinky wrote:Like to use them for defense High Reps on Fielding drills. Great for fly ball and grounder consistency. Jugs machine has swivel Factor can get twice as many reps in. One coach can get a lot done.
For Bp....rather use dual wheel machines to work spins with pitch locations. Live pitching

The problem I've always had with the Jugs machine for fielding drills is the way the ball spins ... It works well for fly ball drills but ground ball drills not so much ... I got the Atec R2 fielding machine last year which delivers a ground ball suitable for infield and outfield as well as fly balls ... It is designed for this and pivots and angles easier then the jugs as well.
GIMNEPIWO

by Hinky » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:42 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Hinky wrote:Like to use them for defense High Reps on Fielding drills. Great for fly ball and grounder consistency. Jugs machine has swivel Factor can get twice as many reps in. One coach can get a lot done.

The problem I've always had with the Jugs machine for fielding drills is the way the ball spins ... It works well for fly ball drills but ground ball drills not so much ... I got the Atec R2 fielding machine last year which delivers a ground ball suitable for infield and outfield as well as fly balls ... It is designed for this and pivots and angles easier then the jugs as well.

Agree about spin.
Good to know about Atec R2.
Assuming it also swivels?
Hinky

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions