Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

An Issue with Posting friendly Scores

What's on your mind?

by coachkev » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:32 am

Just something for you crazy Internet junkies to consider. I do check the scoreboard from time to time to see who is who in the tournament world. I just don't consider scores in friendlys to be a fair indication of talent with the teams involved. This is due to friendlys being an opportunity to "PRACTICE". Which could be opportunities to see what certain players can do in unique situations that you might not use in a tournament. Example.... Try-Outs attend and play in friendlys to see if they are players that can benefit the team. These include every position from 1-9, which can and do have a profound effect on the game and score. Also working a player in a new position could and usually does also affect the game. You could also be focused on one aspect of the game specifically, like small ball, or hitting work which affect game strategies. I know the teams like to post we beat them, and we tied them, but tournaments to me are the only accurate way to gauge who was better that day.

Just my opinion and we know what that is worth.... 2 Cents
coachkev
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:37 am

You say "crazy internet junkies" like that's a bad thing. :mrgreen:
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coolstuff » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:06 pm

I would have an issue if someone posted a friendly score without saying that it was a friendly. If it's indicated as a friendly then you know not to take it seriously.
coolstuff

by Sam » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:07 pm

Parents don't care if its a friendly or not....they keep score in non-competitive 8U rec league games.

I paid a lot of attention to my scores in friendlies...solely because of the parents' view of the games. You can get beat by a team 8-2, with your opponents throwing their #1 pitcher...you throwing your #4 pitcher....your opponent batting 9 and you batting your full lineup....your parents won't care...to them...its an excuse.

You can ignore scores from other teams, but you better pay attention to your own scores....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hotwheels » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Well said Sam,
Anybody that thinks 90% of the parents on your team don't know everything that happens in your "FRIENDLY" you would be fooling themselves. They probably "Think" they know as much about it as you do and trust me, they will have their own view on things.....You know, PARENT GOGGLES!
hotwheels

by Cookie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:24 pm

hotwheels wrote:Well said Sam,
Anybody that thinks 90% of the parents on your team don't know everything that happens in your "FRIENDLY" you would be fooling themselves. They probably "Think" they know as much about it as you do and trust me, they will have their own view on things.....You know, PARENT GOGGLES!

Parent Goggles are like beer goggles, I call them sport goggles, put them on and little Sussie chucking at 48 knots turn into Jenny Finch.
I'm not driving....
Cookie

by hotwheels » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:26 pm

That's funny :lol:
hotwheels

by watcher » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Sam, You are dead-on, My DD umps 8u & 10u Rec games locally & one of the dads was having a fit because the 10yo girl working the scoreboard did not have the score correct 10sec after the girl crossed the plate. DD told him to relax it's not the end of the world .........he sat down & shut-up. I am just glad she didn't tell him "Hey it's only rec ball"
watcher

by FPDD_cabbie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:38 pm

coachkev,

I have to agree with you. Who cares who won the friendly. When we play in tournaments some of these girls will be sitting the entire game but every friendly everyone plays, maybe two to three pitchers per game or two to three catchers. :P

Sunday our girls played in 6 Friendly Games. In the last two games the coach instructed the girls to play whatever position they wanted as long as it was not two innings in a row (expect pitcher and catcher). My daughter got to play 1st, 2nd, 3rd, center, left and bench. The girls got to show their stuff in the last two games and had fun. :D
The secret to happiness is a Good Sense of Humor and a Bad Memory.
FPDD_cabbie

by SSdad » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:21 pm

As a "crazy internet junkie" I can see both sides of the story. As a proud parent, I would like the world to know when we win all 3, or upset a better team. But as someone who deals in reality and facts, we all know that it is just a friendly and who knows if the "better" team we beat was playing their best 9 or pitching their number 1.

As coolstuff said, friendly scores should be taken with a grain of salt. Now tourney scores......thats a whole different ballgame there.
It's better to keep your mouth shut and look like you're stupid......
than to open it and remove all doubt.
SSdad

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions