Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Skipping the high school season

What's on your mind?

by TRbear » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Considering having my DD skip her high school season. I know in certain parts of the country I am sure it would be unheard of but where we are located (north east) high school ball is typically no where near as competitive as high school ball in other parts of the country or travel ball. I am looking for feedback to see what people's opinions are regarding not playing high school ball. Would it hinder a player's chances of being recruited? Would college coaches care? Any feedback is appreciated.
TRbear

by jonriv » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:12 pm

I too am from the Northeast- Connecticut.

First of all you do not mention what year your daughter is?

I would agree that the level of competition is not the same as Travel ball, but I think your daughter will be missing out. There is something to be said about representing your school(town) name in the local paper etc. Also, the grind of the High School season is closer to what she would experience in college than (as great as they are) tournaments. If your DD is a real good player, this is a chance for her to be a leader.

My daughter played travel ball, high school ball and went on to play four years in college. All of the players on her College team played HS ball. IMO your daughter will miss out if she does not play.
jonriv

by E Train Dad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Here in So Cal, that would be a huge No No, maybe your daughter doesn't like the coach, doesn't like a couple of girls on the team, whatever, it's a big red flag! I see that you indicated that You didn't want her to play, vs her not wanting to play,, is that the case? If so, how do you think a college coach would react to that? I think you know the answer to that question....assuming she wants to move to the next level of course!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Not sure if this relates, but I have been checking up on some of my kid's friends who are freshmen in college this season (my daughter will be a freshman next year) and noticed every player had a high school listed next to their name on the roster.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 am

Again, not sure of where in the Northeast you are, but here in Connecticut many of the High School coaches are also Travel Coaches. All of my daughters Travel Coaches were also High School coaches.

When my DD joined her High School program, they were perennial losers. My DD and her friend were the first Travel Ball players on the team-both were Captains by their Junior Year and were the first softball players to play in college in over a decade. They led the way of more players to go the travel route and play for the High School- which in turn made them a perennial winning team and they played deeper and deeper into the State Playoffs. Now it is common for players to go on to play in college(my daughter even recruited one to her school)
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 am

This site had one frequenter whose DD did not play HS softball but did run track ... She went on to a very good college career ... One thing college coaches look at is your DD's ability to maintain good grades while participating in a sport with the demands of practices of games and or meets.
If it is YOU who don't want her to play; why ? What does she want ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Lace » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 pm

risk vs reward. Once a player has committed I would discuss it with your future college coach.. There is a recent trend of colleges advising against it. (especially pitchers) Most of the girls love it but??. .
Lace

by shortslappy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:19 pm

How about those exceptional underclassmen who can't crack Varsity because the roster is set with upperclassmen? What do they do, play JV where the competition is significantly "different" than what they are accustomed to?
Last edited by shortslappy on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shortslappy

by Hinky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm

shortslappy wrote:
There's a freshman in our area who has already verballed to a Top 20-D1 school (regardless of your take on early commits, she is truly an exceptional player). She attends a high school whose Varsity team is exclusively upperclassmen. What do those types of players do?

What high school doesnt want/need a player of this caliber on varsity?
Hinky

by eclipse09 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm

shortslappy wrote:How about those exceptional underclassmen who can't crack Varsity because the roster is set with upperclassmen? What do they do, play JV where the competition is significantly "different" than what they are accustomed to?

There's a freshman in our area who has already verballed to a Top 20-D1 school (regardless of your take on early commits, she is truly an exceptional player). She attends a high school whose Varsity team is exclusively upperclassmen. What do those types of players do?

3 options

1. Play with her friends on JV

2. Play with 2004's in travel

3. Play JV and have a Michael Jordan story to tell people.

;)
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions