Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

update-tb coach tells team dont swing at 1st strike...

What's on your mind?

by cazzy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Attack strikes. Aggressive.
"Nothing will work unless you do." John Wooden
cazzy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:08 am

cazzy wrote:Attack strikes. Aggressive.

Not all strikes are created equally. Does not always make sense to swing at a “pitcher’s pitch”
jonriv

by jonriv » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 am

shortslappy wrote:Related question regarding lead-off hitters taking strikes:

My dd is fast and an aggressively successful base runner, so she moved her way to lead-off. She's bounced in and out of that role, but has been getting mixed messages about her at-bats. With her first at-bat of a game and nobody on base, she likes to swing at any pitch that will get her on base (usually within the first 3 pitches). She got pulled aside and was "strongly advised" to not jump on the first strike unless it's "her pitch" (belt-high, just a bit outside). I was later told by another lead-off hitter that part of her job was to see as many pitches, even if it means fouling off balls on a 3-2 count.

First of all congrats to your DD. Being a lead-off hitter not only takes skill, but a certain mindset and attitude.

I think your last paragraph sums up the role of the lead-off hitter. You posed it as a choice, but it is probably more of a combination of the two.

So what do you think adds more value to a lead-off hitter, get on base or allow your team more pitches to see (which sometimes mean taking the first strike)?
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 am

My dd is fast and an aggressively successful base runner, so she moved her way to lead-off. She's bounced in and out of that role, but has been getting mixed messages about her at-bats. With her first at-bat of a game and nobody on base, she likes to swing at any pitch that will get her on base (usually within the first 3 pitches). She got pulled aside and was "strongly advised" to not jump on the first strike unless it's "her pitch" (belt-high, just a bit outside). I was later told by another lead-off hitter that part of her job was to see as many pitches, even if it means fouling off balls on a 3-2 count.

So what do you think adds more value to a lead-off hitter, get on base or allow your team more pitches to see (which sometimes mean taking the first strike)?

To take pitches so that your team gets to see more strikes (or balls) is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard ... A lead off batters job is to get on base.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

To take pitches so that your team gets to see more strikes (or balls) is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard ... A lead off batters job is to get on base.

This actually a strategy that the Yankees and Red Sox have used for 20 years(one reason that their games are so long) I agree that getting on base is the Primary job of the lead-off, but woking a pitch count can be a very effective tool(especially if it leads to a hit or walk)
jonriv

by Sam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:40 am

A pitcher's dream....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Batter might look silly on a first pitch drop or change up?
jonriv

by shortslappy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm

jonriv wrote:First of all congrats to your DD. Being a lead-off hitter not only takes skill, but a certain mindset and attitude.

Thanks, jonriv! I forgot about an old post I put on here about my dd choosing a position focus - pitching (which she was naturally good at, but didn't enjoy) or slapping (which she was struggling with, but was determined to do). I remember how helpful the Bucket was in helping me realize that I have to take her lead.

Now look at her ... hitting lead-off, fouling off balls on a 3-2 count, and drawing a walk after taking the first strike.
shortslappy

by Chin Music » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Sam wrote:

A pitcher's dream....

Take strikes a pitchers dream......
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:27 pm

shortslappy wrote:
Now look at her ... hitting lead-off, fouling off balls on a 3-2 count, and drawing a walk after taking the first strike.

Does she always take 1st strike?

A pitcher's dream....[/quote]

Take strikes a pitchers dream......[/quote]

CRUSH'IN- Strikes a hitters dream......
Hinky

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions