Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

great pitcher? or great defense?

What's on your mind?

by Chin Music » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:35 pm

LB must of had a pretty solid pitcher also. She threw a shutout!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:54 pm

no shut-out against ucla. They can hit! National defending champions
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Speaking of great pitchers hey Chin the Corona league startes up this weekend interested?? Its played with the Deebers ball?!?!?!?!?!!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:14 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:Speaking of great pitchers hey Chin the Corona league startes up this weekend interested?? Its played with the Deebers ball?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Curv, my playing days are behind me. I might come out and have a beer or 2 and check out your skills. Who u playing with this weekend?
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 am

Im gonna be playing for Redline they play at 10am Promenade Park buuut I wont be out this Saturday I still have travel ball obligations this weekend but after that Ill be there every Saturday since we go dark......Never played for them before it outta be fun though
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:03 am

Spaz... I play Thursday nights and some Sundays when travel ball allowes it, but once my girls go dark thats when men's tourney ball begins and it starts to get competitive. Thursdays and Sundays are warm ups to the tourney season
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by silver2200 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm

At the younger levels like 10u and 12u I would definitely take the dominant pitcher. If you happen to have a 10u girl throwing 50+ mph and good control, that team will no hit half of the competition in some local tournaments. When you get to the big tournaments you are going to need more than just a 50 mph 10u pitcher to win.

When you get to the older levels like 16u and 18u I think I will take the great defense. At those age levels their is not a whole lot of girls still playing that are not pretty decent ball players. More balls are going to be put in play and the team will need a good defense.
silver2200

by stonehurler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:24 pm

I am a virgin poster, but here's my take. I've only been around ten and twelves so far. A dominate pitcher can be very successful one time through the line-up, but it's a hitters game. You need a decent pitcher that can hit spots and a defense that makes routine plays. Neither one has to be special as long as they trust each other and stay positive. I think mental strength and comaraderie trumps great either one.
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by E Train Dad » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:47 pm

stonehurler wrote:I am a virgin poster, but here's my take. I've only been around ten and twelves so far. A dominate pitcher can be very successful one time through the line-up, but it's a hitters game. You need a decent pitcher that can hit spots and a defense that makes routine plays. Neither one has to be special as long as they trust each other and stay positive. I think mental strength and comaraderie trumps great either one.

Hey Stone, Welcome to the Asylum. In 10's and 12's rec ball, or even Travel, the #1 pitcher is usually the best athlete on team, I completely disagree with your statement that it's a hitters game.......and my DD was recruited as a hitter.....it's all about pitching and defense! DD was a pitcher in 10's-16's, even into 18's, but her bat brought the looks. When your DD get's into the older brackets, pitching is everything.....yes the best hitters will shine, but the pitchers will shine as well!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:54 am

E Train Dad wrote:
stonehurler wrote:I am a virgin poster, but here's my take. I've only been around ten and twelves so far. A dominate pitcher can be very successful one time through the line-up, but it's a hitters game. You need a decent pitcher that can hit spots and a defense that makes routine plays. Neither one has to be special as long as they trust each other and stay positive. I think mental strength and comaraderie trumps great either one.

Hey Stone, Welcome to the Asylum. In 10's and 12's rec ball, or even Travel, the #1 pitcher is usually the best athlete on team, I completely disagree with your statement that it's a hitters game.......and my DD was recruited as a hitter.....it's all about pitching and defense! DD was a pitcher in 10's-16's, even into 18's, but her bat brought the looks. When your DD get's into the older brackets, pitching is everything.....yes the best hitters will shine, but the pitchers will shine as well!

Welcome stonehurler,

To everyone- with all the teams in travel ball.....what percentage actually have a pitcher that can shut down the other teams hitting?
IMO say 50%?
What % do you all guess?
If your daughter was selected for her hitting, does that mean she can beat good pitching?
Some pitchers shine...
Reminder only about 260 D1 colleges, vs. about 2000 D2 & under. ( didnt look up exactomundo #'s but roughly accurate)
looking at D1 pitcher shines by getting to D1 !!!! But once there defense needs to support the majority. reflecting on travel ball good points made! difference between younger travel ball and older travel ball. big difference looking at the competitive teams pretty much their whole lineup can hit and that's where defense becomes important. IMO Reflects closely all college ball too.
Hinky

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions