Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Robbing the cradle

What's on your mind?

by NumeroUno » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:49 pm

I have been saying things about early recruits for years n it’s so ridiculous.

https://www.facebook.com/casebatbusters ... 4014848750
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by jonriv » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 pm

What’s the problem? Every 7th grader knows what they want to do in college!
jonriv

by Sparky Guy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:41 pm

The girls plays for the Bandits. She is a stellar pitcher and bring it. I think the super early commitment is more the mom and dad pushing it.

Here is what Bill Conroy posted about it on another web site:

The 2023 player that verbally committed to Florida is a very talented player and believe it or not, her and her family did their due diligence, went on 5 unofficial visits with the urging of Tim Walton. I’m not a fan of the early recruiting process and I’ve been around long enough to remember when no one verballed until late their Junior year. I disagree with the previous poster and believe the new rules will give college coaches more time to evaluate, players more time to develop both physically and mentally and parents more time to decide what is really best for their daughter. There will be the same number of scholarships available, so I’m not sure this will effect lesser known teams/programs any differently than the current system.
Sparky Guy

by E Train Dad » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:26 am

I saw an article, I believe Flosoftball about this girl, say's she throws 66 MPH......in 7th grade! Awefully hard to believe, but what is even harder to wrap my mind around is that she will continue and progress as she reaches the college level without any major injuries, surgery, ect. Off topic a bit, but males weight is in their shoulders, thus overhand, womens weight is in their hips, thus underhand, which is where a lot of pitchers injuries come from, I know first hand from our DD. Verballing at 12-13 years old is insanity, and the fact that the NCAA allows this putting these kids in peril of major crippling injuries is ridiculious! Do I blame Coach Tim......yes but no....I blame the NCAA for allowing them to do this. It's the mentality that if I don't sign her, someone else will grab her first. NCAA, Get your head out of your ASS!!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:35 pm

E Train Dad wrote:I saw an article, I believe Flosoftball about this girl, say's she throws 66 MPH......in 7th grade! Awefully hard to believe, but what is even harder to wrap my mind around is that she will continue and progress as she reaches the college level without any major injuries, surgery, ect. Off topic a bit, but males weight is in their shoulders, thus overhand, womens weight is in their hips, thus underhand, which is where a lot of pitchers injuries come from, I know first hand from our DD. Verballing at 12-13 years old is insanity, and the fact that the NCAA allows this putting these kids in peril of major crippling injuries is ridiculious! Do I blame Coach Tim......yes but no....I blame the NCAA for allowing them to do this. It's the mentality that if I don't sign her, someone else will grab her first. NCAA, Get your head out of your ASS!!

Doesn't the NCAA say that it never happens? Is that still their stance on this?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by McGee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Very unfortunate on so many levels. What ii she is academically strong enough to go to a top Ivy or other great school, or Florida decides they don't want her, or if she decides to forgo softball for other pursuits. It just seems it is a poor long-term decision. if she is good enough and wants to be a Gator as a junior or senior fine.
McGee

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:42 pm

WOW, 66mph in 7th grade that is impressive!!!! Assuming she doesn't hurt herself once she starts to learn pitches other than a fastball she could be the first female to throw in the 80's......Just sayin
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:21 am

https://www.flosoftball.com/articles/6063080-2023-keagan-rothrock-verbals-to-florida-second-7th-grade-commit

2nd 7th grader this season for Walton and Florida. Lets see if the verbals are honored if these kids, God forbid, suffer catastrophic injuries which don't allow them to play at all. Or if this kid has topped out at 66mph on her screwball and it stops moving and it gets hit hard.

The NCAA has to do something about this insanity. Maybe a disgruntled parent/player will have to sue them for breach of contract when a verbal isn't honored.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:14 pm

does anyone think 1% can be extraordinary?
at what age would you stop complaining about people accepting verbal commitments...which either party can terminate....
there are plenty of shuffling college coaches and players that verbal commitments are not upheld
verbal commitments are open-ended agreements....
the young Athlete has chosen her dream college to go to ...apparently not many people hear are applying that spectacular moment.
perhaps you've never had the opportunity to have your dream become a reality....
there are some very mature young people and perhaps they are extraordinary 1%. I wouldn't blame the colleges because the parents are making this decision also
right wrong or indifferent it's an opportunity of a lifetime.
Hinky

by Sam » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 am

Hinky wrote:does anyone think 1% can be extraordinary?
at what age would you stop complaining about people accepting verbal commitments...which either party can terminate....
there are plenty of shuffling college coaches and players that verbal commitments are not upheld
verbal commitments are open-ended agreements....
the young Athlete has chosen her dream college to go to ...apparently not many people hear are applying that spectacular moment.
perhaps you've never had the opportunity to have your dream become a reality....
there are some very mature young people and perhaps they are extraordinary 1%. I wouldn't blame the colleges because the parents are making this decision also
right wrong or indifferent it's an opportunity of a lifetime.

7th graders don't have "dream colleges." They don't have boobs and many have not even experienced their first period. These children are asked to make a decision about their future as an adult. Sure, the parents who allow this are screwed up, but that doesn't exonerate the NCAA/AD's/Coaches. It puts inordinate pressure on these kids, which some have been unable to bear and ended up finding another way out. The pressure placed on these kids AFTER they verbal at such a young age is also enormous....having to live up to unachievable expectations.

To answer your question: I would do away with ALL verbal commitments. There is a process to actually commit. Use it.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions