Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Robbing the cradle

What's on your mind?

by Hinky » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:43 pm

pressure to verbal or
pressure to still be eligible
to keep the verbal made....
pressure to try to get into college academically or athletically vs. the pressure to pay for going to college...
agree there is pressure but for some people the pressure to try and get something is far worse than the pressure of having something and knowing your headed in the right direction.
up to the individual...
Hinky

by Sam » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Hinky wrote:pressure to verbal or
pressure to still be eligible
to keep the verbal made....
pressure to try to get into college academically or athletically vs. the pressure to pay for going to college...
agree there is pressure but for some people the pressure to try and get something is far worse than the pressure of having something and knowing your headed in the right direction.
up to the individual...

I'm not talking about "people." I'm talking about children. Why should a child in junior high be under pressure to make a decision about anything other than those already forced on them at that age (drugs, sex, popularity, appearance, academics, etc.). They have quite enough on their plates already.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 am

Beyond peter pan
there are parents & young people who include the great idea of going to college in their academic category of "what life throws at you". perhaps the intellect of the young person might help determine when these decisions are relevant. Early College decision...
not for everybody. However...
*as an example* the upper 20% educationally are in AP high school classes. Plus high schools that are College Prep Schools starting at age 13 and a lot of them starting in 8th grade.
those are examples of schools with a college-bound curriculum not to mention all the other students in regular curriculum who are planning and preparing to go to college. It's great to know that Sports can help open the
door to go to college.
A college wanting a 12yr old 1% extraordinary young person.

* it's fantastic to know many young athletes who are inspired and encouraged to get good grades and play softball because they know there's an opportunity for them out there!
it is an "achievable goal" with
"realistic expectations"
for young people to become a Collegiate academic athlete.
Hinky

by Sam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Hinky wrote:Beyond peter pan
there are parents & young people who include the great idea of going to college in their academic category of "what life throws at you". perhaps the intellect of the young person might help determine when these decisions are relevant. Early College decision...
not for everybody. However...
*as an example* the upper 20% educationally are in AP high school classes. Plus high schools that are College Prep Schools starting at age 13 and a lot of them starting in 8th grade.
those are examples of schools with a college-bound curriculum not to mention all the other students in regular curriculum who are planning and preparing to go to college. It's great to know that Sports can help open the
door to go to college.
A college wanting a 12yr old 1% extraordinary young person.

* it's fantastic to know many young athletes who are inspired and encouraged to get good grades and play softball because they know there's an opportunity for them out there!
it is an "achievable goal" with
"realistic expectations"
for young people to become a Collegiate academic athlete.

You need to get a new Crack dealer. Your response is a cornucopia of incomplete musings. Its what one might expect when accosted by a homeless person, but thanks for the response.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SoftballMike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm

38% of ALL softball players that verbal before Jr. year DO NOT attend the school they verballed to!

NFCA voted in a straw poll 200 - 3 to endorse the "lacrosse" rule, which states NO communications between players/parents and College Coaches before Sep. 1 of Jr. Year.

This WILL absolutely get passed on April 18th, and probably take effect immediately.

Plus, any current verbals will not be able to communicate with the coaches they verballed with until Jr. year Sep. 1.

It will change the $$ section of softball, as the showcases will not be as important as the coach will ONLY be able to talk to the travel coach, and tell him interested or not. That's all.
SoftballMike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 am

Spazsdad wrote:Do you have a link to your first stat. I find that number very high from my experience

Ditto
Hinky

by Schmick » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:44 am

It's just a VERBAL commitment and it doesn't mean dick.

David Sills gave a VERBAL commitment to Lane Kiffen and USC as a 7th grade QB.

Kiffen was fired from USC
Sills wound up going to West Virginia
As a Mountaineer, he played Wide Receiver

Verbals are the "checks in the mail" of college recruiting, kids can verbal 30 times to 20 different schools but until the National Letter of Intent is signed by the player and their parents and the letter is faxed to the school, it's not a commitment.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Schmick wrote:It's just a VERBAL commitment and it doesn't mean dick.

David Sills gave a VERBAL commitment to Lane Kiffen and USC as a 7th grade QB.

Kiffen was fired from USC
Sills wound up going to West Virginia
As a Mountaineer, he played Wide Receiver

Verbals are the "checks in the mail" of college recruiting, kids can verbal 30 times to 20 different schools but until the National Letter of Intent is signed by the player and their parents and the letter is faxed to the school, it's not a commitment.

Still a commitment. If someone says they are going to do something in the future it's still a commitment. A coach moving or getting fired is a deal breaker.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions