Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

CHEER-Positve Supporting Words, Enjoy...

What's on your mind?

by Backnine » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 am

Cheer in the dugout is hard on the coaches ears and at times can interfere with communication and teaching moments. How can the girls follow the game (how many outs? pitch count? pitchers tendencies? situational hitting?) when mindlessly blabbering "we are the big dogs. you are the little dogs". On the other hand we want the girls to have fun and continue in the game. Part of having fun is the mindless cheers. I have noticed that the best players on the team watch the game and do the least amount of cheering. There is a difference between shouting" You can do this Carlie, Battle Carlie Battle ! and the mindless rhymes. Encouragement is good. Babble is not. How to get 10 or 12 year old girls to understand the difference and apply it- good luck!
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am

jonriv wrote:Pretty stupid. Sounds like a taunt. Where’s the joy

I thought it was pretty classic in the 80s. I guess in today's PC world it wouldn't work today.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:09 am

eclipse09 wrote:
jonriv wrote:Pretty stupid. Sounds like a taunt. Where’s the joy

I thought it was pretty classic in the 80s. I guess in today's PC world it wouldn't work today.

It is still around today in various forms and proves my point ... But I will say there ARE some that are more annoying ... On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most annoying; this one probably hits around 5. ;)
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:48 am

I use the word cheer meaning positive reinforcing words. yes there are many outstanding players who cheer, in fact it's a wonderful sign of leadership. Saying to your pitcher "Great Pitch" is Cheer. Have you said to your daughters " I believe in you" that is Cheer. as a coach have you said "get a hit"..that is Cheer.

as a coach and instructor over the years in softball from rec to travel to Division 1 coaching , cheer continues to be an awesome tool!
the feedback from many softball
Players experiencing a better team connection "cheer brings us together" "it creates positive energy", feedback that assures me Cheer works. seeing the change come over athletes when introduced to cheer as part of a team essential has even turned teams around not only their competitive level but their enjoyment level as well.

cheer has enhanced coaching Communications for me and over the years. I have seen it work so much it is an important tool that I implement everywhere I go. Even currently with 16u and 18u travel teams our voices are part of our energy and we use them!

Enjoy your opportunities
Count your blessings
Be thankful there are so many different styles of people and the freedom to make decisions for yourself!

BOOM
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:I use the word cheer meaning positive reinforcing words. yes there are many outstanding players who cheer, in fact it's a wonderful sign of leadership. Saying to your pitcher "Great Pitch" is Cheer. Have you said to your daughters " I believe in you" that is Cheer. as a coach have you said "get a hit"..that is Cheer.

as a coach and instructor over the years in softball from rec to travel to Division 1 coaching , cheer continues to be an awesome tool!
the feedback from many softball
Players experiencing a better team connection "cheer brings us together" "it creates positive energy", feedback that assures me Cheer works. seeing the change come over athletes when introduced to cheer as part of a team essential has even turned teams around not only their competitive level but their enjoyment level as well.

cheer has enhanced coaching Communications for me and over the years. I have seen it work so much it is an important tool that I implement everywhere I go. Even currently with 16u and 18u travel teams our voices are part of our energy and we use them!

Enjoy your opportunities
Count your blessings
Be thankful there are so many different styles of people and the freedom to make decisions for yourself!

BOOM

Thanks for clarifying ... I am pretty sure that the majority of readers did not think you meant words of positive reinforcement or what most coaches refer to as 'chatter' when you said 'cheer' ... Those are an important recipe to a teams unity and success ... 14, 16, 18, 23 year old young ladies do not need to be yelping mindless repetitive chants or taunts that have little to do with understanding the game within the game, the situation, the score, the count, the strategy or anything useful ... BOOM ? please :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by ARamon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:14 am

I applaud positive Cheer in the game. It keeps everyone motivated and on task!
ARamon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions