Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Why are there so few female head coaches in travel ball?

What's on your mind?

by Els489 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:31 am

My daughter's first travel ball coach was an amazing woman who taught the girls responsibility, hustle, skills and how to play the right way. She was extremely tough on them but also loved them like crazy. When she decided to stop coaching for family reasons my daughters next couple coaches were men. Not bad guys at all and very good coaches, but my daughter quit softball about a year ago and I strongly feel one way she would consider going back is if there were some good female coaches out there.

Why aren't there? Or am I missing something?

Happy Holidays!
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:07 am

Most teams cannot, or will not, pay their coaches, and most young ladies probably cannot afford to volunteer their time to a team where they have no daughter or vested interest. I'm sure some do to get experience hoping to roll it into a career, JMHO
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am

PairOfAces wrote:Most teams cannot, or will not, pay their coaches, and most young ladies probably cannot afford to volunteer their time to a team where they have no daughter or vested interest. I'm sure some do to get experience hoping to roll it into a career, JMHO

So how can the men afford to?
jonriv

by PairOfAces » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 pm

jonriv wrote:
PairOfAces wrote:Most teams cannot, or will not, pay their coaches, and most young ladies probably cannot afford to volunteer their time to a team where they have no daughter or vested interest. I'm sure some do to get experience hoping to roll it into a career, JMHO

In my experience, the dads that do it (unpaid) have established jobs and are willing and able to balance the work, travel, and give up their weekends to coach their kids.

Many young ladies just out of college are still trying to start or establish their careers and don't have the time to put in to a volunteer position.

Again, JMHO
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Els489 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:52 pm

What about "not so young" ladies who are not just out of college? Women's softball has been around long enough that there should be a lot of adult women out there with the same responsibilities as men.

My daughter never had a problem with her male coaches, but as I think more about it and reflect on her experience with her female coach, I think the young ladies playing today would really benefit from good female coaching, in some ways more than a good male coach.
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:13 pm

PairOfAces wrote:
jonriv wrote:

In my experience, the dads that do it (unpaid) have established jobs and are willing and able to balance the work, travel, and give up their weekends to coach

Many young ladies just out of college are still trying to start or establish their careers and don't have the time to put in to a volunteer position.

Again, JMHO

There are no moms with established jobs?? What all the young ladies who graduated in and around 2000? I’m sure a bunch have kids and careers. In my jmho your ho seems both dated and a wee bit sexist
jonriv

by PairOfAces » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:40 pm

jonriv wrote:
PairOfAces wrote:
jonriv wrote:

In my experience, the dads that do it (unpaid) have established jobs and are willing and able to balance the work, travel, and give up their weekends to coach

Again, JMHO

There are no moms with established jobs?? What all the young ladies who graduated in and around 2000? I’m sure a bunch have kids and careers. In my jmho your ho seems both dated and a wee bit sexist

Hey now, don't start talking about my ho. :roll:

Not meaning that in any way, shape, or fashion. In So Cal, there are more not so young women coaches now than there were when my DDs started in travel ball 5 years ago, and there are also more young, out of college ladies than there were then. But they are still way outnumbered by the dad coaches. Don't have a clue about the rest of the country. He asked, I answered, that's the way web forums work.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Again the question is- where are the softball moms?
jonriv

by Sparky Guy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 pm

jonriv wrote:Again the question is- where are the softball moms?

Usually life gets in the way, Jobs, kids, house, husband's work schedule and the toughest job of all. Being a mom.

I had a mom last year who played high-level travel. He daughter was the oldest of 5 kids and the dad's work hours were very flexible. She worked with her daughter and that was about all the time she had. It was a major juggling act with the other kids and their activities too. It was really rare to see both parents at a tournament at the same time. And I know she was not an anomaly.
Sparky Guy

by ih8ddyball » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:57 pm

In the socal area the Corona Angels and OC Bat Busters have a handful female coaches within their organization. Yes the female coaches are out numbered by men but if you live in the socal area it's not that hard to find a female coach.
ih8ddyball

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions