Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Why are there so few female head coaches in travel ball?

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 pm

They aren't very good. Most are very good ex-players who didn't pay attention to game strategy. These are the coaches who play the infield in with two outs in the 7th, up by 5 and nobody on base. Not their fault in total....they may have had stupid male coaches teaching them. They typically have little patience for mediocre players. Not good with umpires because they don't know the rules very well. They tend to want to correct batter swings on each pitch and relay bad information to their batters.

Avoid them if possible.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Sam wrote:They aren't very good. Most are very good ex-players who didn't pay attention to game strategy. These are the coaches who play the infield in with two outs in the 7th, up by 5 and nobody on base. Not their fault in total....they may have had stupid male coaches teaching them. They typically have little patience for mediocre players. Not good with umpires because they don't know the rules very well. They tend to want to correct batter swings on each pitch and relay bad information to their batters.

Avoid them if possible.

That may be true but here comes the few examples of good female coaches and you respond with there are "exceptions to the rule".... :roll: :lol:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by PDad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:06 pm

jonriv wrote:Sue I guess you did not read the attached article. There are fewer female coaches now then there were when title 9 was passed over 40 years ago, why?
The article cited a decrease in the percentage of college teams coached by women - not "fewer female coaches". The number of women's teams increased dramatically after Title IX and the ratio changed as more men were hired with the new positions. Do the math - #teams doubled and percentage dropped by less than half (i.e. 90% to 58%) indicates there were more women coaches, not fewer.

Also, there may be more female travel coaches ( numerically, but with the huge increase in the total number of teams I wonder if the actual percentage of female coaches teams has increased-just don’t know

Amazing that you saw the difference between quantity and percentages with travel teams, but not with the article.

As far as equal pay, I think it really depends on industry and location. I think if you take out silicone valley(all tech) and entertainment the comparison is much more even

Is "silicone valley" the area between 2 old breast implants? LMAO Try using some tech and google silicone vs silicon...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:01 am

Another pretty good article on the subject

http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/whe ... the-women/

Also since 2001 75% of NCAA women’s team coaching vacancies were filled by men
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 am

Sam wrote:They aren't very good. Most are very good ex-players who didn't pay attention to game strategy. These are the coaches who play the infield in with two outs in the 7th, up by 5 and nobody on base. Not their fault in total....they may have had stupid male coaches teaching them. They typically have little patience for mediocre players. Not good with umpires because they don't know the rules very well. They tend to want to correct batter swings on each pitch and relay bad information to their batters.

Avoid them if possible.

Do you think that the reason they did not pay attention to strategy could be because (in my opinion) many female coaches are x-pitchers ? I am of the opinion in both softball and baseball that the worst coaches are former pitchers ... In contrast I think the best strategy coaches are former catchers ... :o
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions