Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

NESCAC information

What's on your mind?

by TRbear » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:19 am

Hi all,

Does anyone have some history regarding or color on their daughter getting recruited to play in the NESCAC conference? My kid wants very high academics but also wants to play ball.

Thanks in advance
TRbear

by PairOfAces » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Jon Riv should be along shortly to give insight. His kid played in the conference and is now in the business world, probably supervising the power conference grads! Unless your kid is the next Finch/Abbott/Ricketts, I would encourage to get in the best school that will also provide her the opportunity to play softball, not the other way around.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TRbear » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks Aces. I look forward to Jon's feedback.
TRbear

by PDad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:47 pm

JR's DD played in NEWMAC, not NESCAC.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:39 pm

PDad wrote:JR's DD played in NEWMAC, not NESCAC.

My bad, thought she played for Bowdoin.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20 pm

PairOfAces wrote:
PDad wrote:JR's DD played in NEWMAC, not NESCAC.

My bad, thought she played for Bowdoin.

You had the first and last letters right - it was Babson in MA. I expect JR will chime in none the less.

Bowdoin is in Maine and we're familiar with one of their players going back to rec. Her dad once commented their admissions don't relax their standards much for athletes, so you need to have the grades and test scores.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by comscott » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

I have a daughter in her last year attending and playing for a NESCAC school presently. DD #2 is heading off to the east coast next year to go to another NESCSAC school. It has been a great experience for her to attend a very prestigious school and still be able to play the sport she truly loves. Getting recruited for her meant she had the grades and skill set to be able to play at the D3 level. Softball (and her coach) helped her get in by early decision. I must admit it is very impressive what these girls are able to accomplish on and off the field. Each year girls graduate and for the most part are very well prepared to deal with life after softball. Ivies and these sorts of schools are need based for financial aid, so if your daughter does get accepted into the school, they will make it very affordable if they deem that you do need help. So this being DD #1 last year, we will try to savor her final few games and then prepare ourselves for DD#2 next 4 years. On a softball note the NESCAC had 2 teams reach the final 8 in the country. So the level of play is solid for the most part. My daughter loves the camaraderie and being able to compete with her teammates on those cold and rainy softball days. She has made friends for life and we are hoping the same for DD #2.
PS. We were one of the schools that made it to Oklahoma City last year( so cool for our DD and us)
comscott

by TRbear » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks all for the info. Babson is a great school as well. I'm sure it's similar to NESCAC recruiting. I heard certain NESCAC schools do alter admission standards for athletes but it's not by much. My DD has very good grades (way better than I ever had). I'm just wondering if she needs to have perfect grades as well as SAT or ACT scores to get in.
TRbear

by comscott » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 pm

DD #1 SAT score was 2000 back when it was 2400. So that with good grades and the coaches support allowed her to get in. DD#2 scored 32 on the ACT. We found that their was actually more wiggle room at some of the Ivies if they are interested. DD #1 had several choices but ultimately felt more comfortable at Amherst and we as a family couldn't be happier. It definitely has opened some doors and has already landed her first real job ( post softball) still while she will be finishing off her last year. One down and one to go!
comscott

by TRbear » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:52 am

That's great feedback comscott. Thanks. I agree with you regarding the Ivies as i get the sense they have more room to work with regarding grades & test scores. Great to hear your DD#1 already has something lined-up afte school. That'll make her senior year that much more enjoyable!
TRbear

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions