Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Runners Safe or Out?

What's on your mind?

by MrGeek » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:35 pm

My only real guess to this other than lack of knowledge is that in baseball, your chances of seeing an infielder play in front of a runner is about as often as a Cubs WS win. I think that it's just thought as common practice that if a batted ball hits a runner, said runner is out. Hopefully with the ten's of people who read this post, we can make more educated softball folks. I think our next topic should be the "4th out outfield appeal".
MrGeek
Premium Member
Premium Member

by McGee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:58 pm

I actually coached a game where a 4th and 5th out appeal came into play. Unfortunately the Little League umpires had no idea about the appropriate application of the rules so two runs scored. We won the game anyway but it reinforced my dedication to learning the rules of our game.

There is no doubt that the runner hit by batted ball after passing an infielder and no other player has a play is one of the most missed applied calls in softball when it occurs. I hope strong umpires can coach managers when they can on the application of rules in the hope that in games that count, everyone knows the rules in play.
McGee

by Battle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:08 pm

So lets say the ball hit the runner and went into no mans land where the runner on 3rd would've scored and the runner on 2nd would be on 3rd. It's called a dead ball with R1 out but clear that the IF had a play on the ball. What is the proper way to approach the umpires or appeal respectfully? Can it be appealed?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by PDad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Battle wrote:Agreed but it goes further than that. I've seen the ball go between the IF legs and hit the runner with an out called and nobody argues. It's as though everyone is in agreement. If they do argue, it's whether or not the ball touched the IF. What? It doesn't matter if it touched the IF. She had a play on the ball.

Why is this rule so lost?

Whether IF touched the ball does matter since that is covered under a different rule for deflections.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Battle wrote:So lets say the ball hit the runner and went into no mans land where the runner on 3rd would've scored and the runner on 2nd would be on 3rd. It's called a dead ball with R1 out but clear that the IF had a play on the ball. What is the proper way to approach the umpires or appeal respectfully? Can it be appealed?

There's no provision if the infielder whiffs on a batted ball where they had a play.

There's also no provision for batted balls where nobody has a play on it (e.g. up the middle).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Battle wrote:So lets say the ball hit the runner and went into no mans land where the runner on 3rd would've scored and the runner on 2nd would be on 3rd. It's called a dead ball with R1 out but clear that the IF had a play on the ball. What is the proper way to approach the umpires or appeal respectfully? Can it be appealed?

What you are asking is not really an appeal, but questioning the umpire about the misapplication of a rule. You need to call time and approach the umpire that made the call. Ask what they saw and ruled and if you feel they may have misapplied a rule you can ask them if they will consult with their partner about clarification on the call. If you still do not agree with their call and feel they have misapplied the rule you can always protest.

If you do protest and win, then the umpires would place the runners where they judge they would have reached if not for the incorrect call.
Comp

by Battle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 am

PDad wrote:
Battle wrote:Agreed but it goes further than that. I've seen the ball go between the IF legs and hit the runner with an out called and nobody argues. It's as though everyone is in agreement. If they do argue, it's whether or not the ball touched the IF. What? It doesn't matter if it touched the IF. She had a play on the ball.

Whether IF touched the ball does matter since that is covered under a different rule for deflections.

How does that apply here?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Battle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:50 pm

PDad wrote:

There's no provision if the infielder whiffs on a batted ball where they had a play.

There's also no provision for batted balls where nobody has a play on it (e.g. up the middle).

What do you mean by "provision"?
Battle

by Battle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Comp wrote:

What you are asking is not really an appeal, but questioning the umpire about the misapplication of a rule. You need to call time and approach the umpire that made the call. Ask what they saw and ruled and if you feel they may have misapplied a rule you can ask them if they will consult with their partner about clarification on the call. If you still do not agree with their call and feel they have misapplied the rule you can always protest.

If you do protest and win, then the umpires would place the runners where they judge they would have reached if not for the incorrect call.

Thank you.
Battle

by PDad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Battle wrote:
PDad wrote:

How does that apply here?

Look again - I highlighted the applicable part in bold. Sheesh...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions